Repair costs per miles 97 xlt

wazzles

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hi:

I have a 1997 xlt 4x4 with 267k on it. In 2008 I put 14,049 miles on it and had repair costs of $5009.03 (the transfer case being replaced was $1750 really bumped this figure up). So per mile it cost me $0.36 in repair costs. How did yall fare in 2008 repair costs per mile?

I have every confidence 2009 will be better.

--Levon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi:

I have a 1997 xlt 4x4 with 267k on it. In 2008 I put 14,049 miles on it and had repair costs of $5009.03 (the transfer case being replaced was $1750 really bumped this figure up). So per mile it cost me $0.36 in repair costs. How did yall fare in 2008 repair costs per mile?

I have every confidence 2009 will be better.

--Levon

Ahh.. What are you getting done to it? That figure seems high..

i put less than 3k miles on mine last year, and repairs:

3 cv axles - 105
tre - 45
wheel/hub bearing- 104
and some small misc items well say - 50

so total 304$
about 10c per mile

Ahh.. What are you getting done to it? That figure seems high..

Replace seat belt, oil pan gasket, transmission pan gasket, oil changes, ball joint replaced, cam bolts, alignments, new tires, new transfer case, short in turn signal, some part for the 4-wheel drive...I can go on.

3 oil changes.... 30 bucks total(10 for each change) lol thats it ohh wait one sway bar end link.(15 bucks) :) 143XXX on her too:)

1993: I didn't replace anything but the oil last year.

I run synthetic, and did 2 oil changes on it last year..

It has 135k on it now...

1992: I blew up 2 transmissions (3 total in 2.5 years), and bought a `97 to swap the drivetrain into. So far I'm AHEAD on the swap, meaning it hasn't cost me anything SO FAR...

Ryan

I'm most interested in those that commute regularly (and go to the mountains on weekends!) with an explorer with 250k plus miles on it and what they are spending.

It still seems like too much money even with the transfer case at $1750. Looks like you are paying a lot of labor costs. Do you take it to the Ford dealer or are you taking it to a local mechanic. Also does it get regular maintenance or do you wait till something leaks or breaks? I know, the truck has a lot of mileage but it still sounds too expensive. Try hooking up with a knowledgeable and reasonable mechanic recommended by a friemd or other Serious Explorations member in your area. Hope this can save your wallet some headaches and spend more time enjoying your truck. My truck is at 145,000 miles and still going with normal maintenance and a transmission put in at 132,000. Good Luck

It still seems like too much money even with the transfer case at $1750. Looks like you are paying a lot of labor costs. Do you take it to the Ford dealer or are you taking it to a local mechanic. Also does it get regular maintenance or do you wait till something leaks or breaks? I know, the truck has a lot of mileage but it still sounds too expensive. Try hooking up with a knowledgeable and reasonable mechanic recommended by a friemd or other Serious Explorations member in your area. Hope this can save your wallet some headaches and spend more time enjoying your truck. My truck is at 145,000 miles and still going with normal maintenance and a transmission put in at 132,000. Good Luck

I got to the Ford Dealership or Tires plus. I haven't found a reliable mechanic yet. I don't do much regular maintenance besides obvious stuff like oil changes, rotate tires alignments and the like.

I got 99,890 miles on my X and have put about $1,500 for the 3 years I have owned. Other than that repair it has treated me well.

I've got 225k on mine and all I did last year besides fluid changes was rear brakes. This did cost more this time since I decided to do the axle bearings, seals, parking brake shoes, rotors and pads. The reason for the axle bearings and seals was that I had an axle bearing fail and it ruined an axle. Total cost of the repair including the new axle was about $600. We put about 12k miles per year so that would be $.05 per mile. Not too shabby for a 12 year old rig with over 200k on it.

Back