Replace Front Controls Interface Module (Sony Faceplate) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace Front Controls Interface Module (Sony Faceplate)

I know I am really late to this thread but seems there was no answer so I will chime in. I have done this on a 2015 Explorer. I have the Sony system and Put the FCIM from a 2017 Platinum in it. First off the Plug is different but both plugs have the same 5 wires and can easily be re-pinned. The new Face plate is made for a CGEA 1.3 network. With '11-15 being GCEA 1.2 that could be a problem.

When I re-pinned it and plugged it in everything worked as it should except the HVAC. The fan would come on high and blow hot air. I could not find a way to change this with Forscan. I am guessing it has something to do with the network but the Stereo controls work perfect so it is odd considering they are using the ICAN network. The HVAC also would not work with the right screen in the IPC while it was connected.

So short answer is no it does not appear to work with the HVAC. I have not given up though but just can seem to figure out if it is a setting, I need a different HVAC module from a '16 or I need to upgrade it to CGEA 1.3. :)

On a side not if you do this change the size is physically longer on the top so you have to replace the center speaker grille with a newer one that is a tad shorter. You also need new side trim pieces as there will be a small gap at the top of them if you don't get the newer ones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know I am really late to this thread but seems there was no answer so I will chime in. I have done this on a 2015 Explorer. I have the Sony system and Put the FCIM from a 2017 Platinum in it. First off the Plug is different but both plugs have the same 5 wires and can easily be re-pinned. The new Face plate is made for a CGEA 1.3 network. With 11-15' being GCEA 1.2 that could be a problem.

When I re-pinned it and plugged it in everything worked as it should except the HVAC. The fan would come on high and blow hot air. I could not find a way to change this with Forscan. I am guessing it has something to do with the network but the Stereo controls work perfect so it is odd considering they are using the ICAN network. The HVAC also would not work with the right screen in the IPC while it was connected.

So short answer is no it does not appear to work with the HVAC. I have not given up though but just can seem to figure out if it is a setting, I need a different HVAC module from a 16' or I need to upgrade it to CGEA 1.3. :)

On a side not if you do this change the size is physically longer on the top so you have to replace the center speaker grill with a newer one that is a tad shorter. You also need new side trim pieces as there will be a small gap at the top of them if you don't get the newer ones.

So have you not had A/C this whole time? This will be unacceptable here in TX. I am closely watching for updates because I, like many others, have either broken the trim bezel, want to upgrade, or both. Thanks for your input and hope to see a solution soon for you (us).

So have you not had A/C this whole time? This will be unacceptable here in TX. I am closely watching for updates because I, like many others, have either broken the trim bezel, want to upgrade, or both. Thanks for your input and hope to see a solution soon for you (us).
I don't drive around with this one not working as it would be way to hot inside on a freezing day. I use the '15 face plate until I get this figured out so my HVAC works correct. I am still not sure what to think. I know it's talking to the network as all the Radio controls work just fine. The lighting also works fine in it. But HVAC responds the same as if an FCIM is not even plugged in. I tried using Forscan on both the test bench and in the rig to see if it showed any buttons being pressed but it gave me an error telling me to contact the developers when I started it.

Best I can tell is its something to do with either the IPC, HVAC or APIM module. Could be all 3 and maybe even the BCM for all I know at this point. I have tried Asbuilt from '15 - '17 to try and get the settings right. The one thing that bugs me is that I have CGEA 1.2 and this faceplate is only on 1.3 rigs. But than again the radio controls are working fine. My HSWM and Ambient lighting also don't work with the '17 face plate weather.

Next I am going to try it with the Gateway module in it and see if it talks to the HVAC Since it kinda shows that path in the Module communications charts.

I don't drive around with this one not working as it would be way to hot inside on a freezing day. I use the '15 face plate until I get this figured out so my HVAC works correct. I am still not sure what to think. I know it's talking to the network as all the Radio controls work just fine. The lighting also works fine in it. But HVAC responds the same as if an FCIM is not even plugged in. I tried using Forscan on both the test bench and in the rig to see if it showed any buttons being pressed but it gave me an error telling me to contact the developers when I started it.

Best I can tell is its something to do with either the IPC, HVAC or APIM module. Could be all 3 and maybe even the BCM for all I know at this point. I have tried Asbuilt from '15 - '17 to try and get the settings right. The one thing that bugs me is that I have CGEA 1.2 and this faceplate is only on 1.3 rigs. But than again the radio controls are working fine. My HSWM and Ambient lighting also don't work with the '17 face plate weather.

Next I am going to try it with the Gateway module in it and see if it talks to the HVAC Since it kinda shows that path in the Module communications charts.
Thanks for the update. Still following because as my car gets older, the chances of finding a new bezel will be slim to none as it already is. I have sentimental value with my Explorer so I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. When the engine dies, I plan to do an engine/trans swap with more power. The blackout project is pretty much complete (exterior painted matte, black wheels, tinted).

Thanks for the update. Still following because as my car gets older, the chances of finding a new bezel will be slim to none as it already is. I have sentimental value with my Explorer so I don't plan on ever getting rid of it. When the engine dies, I plan to do an engine/trans swap with more power. The blackout project is pretty much complete (exterior painted matte, black wheels, tinted).
I wont have time to work on it for about a week but once I do I will update. I plan to check and see if it works with a Gateway module since that's the communication path for it. If I cant get a response out of that I will see about a 16+ HVAC module.

I wont have time to work on it for about a week but once I do I will update. I plan to check and see if it works with a Gateway module since that's the communication path for it. If I cant get a response out of that I will see about a 16+ HVAC module.
hello! I’m not sure if you ever ended up finding a resolution to the hvac , however do you know the pin order for the radio bezel for the 2016+? I have a 2014 police interceptor , I’ve thus far installed a 3.4 head unit in it and have all radio functionality when the old bezel from my 2014 is plugged in however hvac is gone rip! My main goal is to get the 2018 bezel I have attached by splicing the old fcim connector from main harness. but I can’t find out the pin out of the new one anywhere ! I know it’s 5 conductors for 6 pins but I’m lost

hello! I’m not sure if you ever ended up finding a resolution to the hvac , however do you know the pin order for the radio bezel for the 2016+? I have a 2014 police interceptor , I’ve thus far installed a 3.4 head unit in it and have all radio functionality when the old bezel from my 2014 is plugged in however hvac is gone rip! My main goal is to get the 2018 bezel I have attached by splicing the old fcim connector from main harness. but I can’t find out the pin out of the new one anywhere ! I know it’s 5 conductors for 6 pins but I’m lost
2018 bezel won't work in a 2014, you need a 8" bezel for a 2011-2015, and the correct programming, period.

Back