Replaced wheel hub assembly, ABS sensor broke again.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replaced wheel hub assembly, ABS sensor broke again..

hockeyadc

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I had an ABS light on, and checked my sensors. It was the front left, so I replaced the entire hub assembly. I drove it down the street, the ABS was kicking in every time I pressed the brake and then boom, the light was on again.

What the hell is going on here?

Edit: Just thought. Maybe its because I only replaced one side, so there is a signal mismatch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you purchased a cheap hub, they use inferior ABS wiring (less wire itself.)
Though a good hub could be defective too.
Or the problem could lie in the hard wired portion of the abs cable. Could be simply broken or bent pins at the connection.

If you purchased a cheap hub, they use inferior ABS wiring (less wire itself.)
Though a good hub could be defective too.
Or the problem could lie in the hard wired portion of the abs cable. Could be simply broken or bent pins at the connection.

Well I just replaced the other side, and the same thing is happening. The ABS light goes off, ABS kicks in on the brakes, and then the ABS light comes back on after about half a mile.

Is there something else to check besides the ABS sensors? Some kind of fuse somewhere or something? All of the wires look fine that I can see.

Maybe it is just because its a cheap wheel hub. I got a drive works assembly from Advance Auto, because Rockauto sent me the wrong wheel hub assembly, and I had already beat the crap out of the old one to get it off.

I'll get it scanned at a dealership, and if anything, are these sensors good?
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=4672251&cc=1377660

I'll just replace the sensor. Tired of dealing with this.

You definitely need to put a scanner on it to see WHY the ABS light is on? Otherwise, you're just guessing. Checking the codes will tell you where/what is setting the code/light, then you can focus your efforts there.

I'll just replace the sensor. Tired of dealing with this.

Aren't the sensors more expensive then a complete hub assembly? They were last time I checked.

You definitely need to put a scanner on it to see WHY the ABS light is on? Otherwise, you're just guessing. Checking the codes will tell you where/what is setting the code/light, then you can focus your efforts there.

Aren't the sensors more expensive then a complete hub assembly? They were last time I checked.

The ones I posted up top were only $25. I am hoping I can find a place to scan it besides the dealer. It will be a lot there

Back