Replacement Radiator for 2000 Explorer 4WD XLT SOHC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacement Radiator for 2000 Explorer 4WD XLT SOHC

Mattax

Reaction score
City, State
Fishersville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
The plastic end tank on my radiator cracked and is leaking pretty bad from the top. I can get away with local driving but will not take it on a trip until I get it replaced.

I am looking for a quality replacement radiator for my 2000 Explorer. I have spent the last two days searching the net to no solid "quality" radiators of the aftermarket kind. OEM prices I found the cheapest at $389.

Are all aluminum radiators good or are they the hit or miss quality that reviews suggest?

Anyone know of a good quality aftermarket radiator? Should I go all aluminum or plastic end tank?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

two row radiator

When my radiator began to leak I did some research and learned that the early SOHC V6 models came with a two row (two inch thick) radiator. The later models had only a one row (one inch thick) radiator. I purchased a 1997 two row radiator from radiatorbarn.com for my 2000 Sport. It probably prevents me from going to an electric fan but I prefer the extra cooling capacity. See the following links: http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator#
Cost is $173.92 with free shipping and lifetime warranty. Certain states require additional sales tax.

Hood lifts, side steps & radiator

I bought one for my 97 at Advance, and it has been fine for about seven years.

I ended up purchasing a radiator from Advance. Got is for $169 and free shipping. Bought new radiator hoses from Tousley for another $39 including shipping and handling. Already had the coolant and distilled water.

The removal and installation was easy. Nothing I researched on the internet was correct in what I had to do for changing it out. So here is a run down for anyone doing it.

1. Unhook your battery leads.
2. Underneath the explorer, there are four bolts holding the plastic cover protector of the radiator. Remove the four bolts and two plastic christmas tree fasteners which should just pull out with the cover.
3. Remove the bolt that holds the transmission lines bracket to the bottom of the radiator.
4. You need to now drain the radiator.
5. Once drained, and remember to be sure the engine is cold first. Once you open the pepcock, and have the drain pan underneath, then take off the radiator cap for faster draining, close the pepcock.
6. Remove the two bolts into the radiator shroud at the top. the bottom of the shroud is held in by plastic tabs inserted down into plastic brackets that are part of the radiator.
7. Once the bolts are out, simply pull up on the radiator shroud and then place over the top of the fan to get it out of the way. It does not get pulled out.
8. Get an adjustable wrench or find the correct size wrench for the transmission lines larger nut/fitting that goes into the left side up close (looking at it from the drivers seat/ right side from the front of the vehicle for those of you in Rio Linda) to the radiator both top and bottom lines. Then use a 16mm wrench for the lines fitting and break them free. Untwist all the way apart and remove lines. Get a piece of towel and plug the lines from leaking transmission fluid.
9. Now remove the four screws into the top of the SOHC engine cover. Set it aside, you do not need to take it out since the back of the cover has a plastic holder for the line.
10. Remove the air filter housing, the air filter and then unscrew the metal bands holding the air tube to both the air filter box and the engine intake.
11. Pull the air hose tube off, their will be two tubes inserted into the main tube, simply pull them out and set them to the side. Also unhook the wire connector into the side of the main air tube.
12. Unhook and remove the radiator hoses from the top and bottom of the radiator. Expect to have some fluid in these hoses. Have a paper towel ready to collect the excess. If you are replacing these hoses, remove them completely. Note the direction the clamps are on as this will be the best way to reassemble them when you put the new hoses on.
13. Unclip the hose for the AC check port and remove the radiator overflow hose and the clips that go into the radiator across the top. Use a needle nose pliers and they will simply push through the radiator frame.
14. Remove the top two bolts from the radiator.
15. Pull the radiator up and out.
16. Reverse process for installation.

One thing I ran into with the aftermarket radiator is the left side (right side if standing in front of the vehicle for those of you in Rio Linda) was the lower bracket that is part of the radiator for the fan shroud was up too high and I had to file down the bottom tab of the radiator shroud and then file the bottom of the hole (of the shroud) for the top bolt for the shroud to fit properly.

It took longer to drain the radiator and flush and drain and fill and flush and fill than it did to replace the radiator itself. Flushing is a long process. I suggest a lot of patience or a hobby to do while you wait.

Good luck and don't blink.

Good report, glad your repair was a success.

Thanks.

One thing I forgot to say was the new radiator comes with fittings for the transmission oil cooler lines. The first time I put them in, I tightened as hard as I could while outside the vehicle, but that wasn't enough and it leaked after install. I had to re-tighten both the top and bottom aftermarket supplied fittings into the aftermarket radiator twice after initial install. It would probably be best for anyone else doing this to use teflon tape prior to installation. If mine leaks again, I will remove and add tape. When tightening the fittings that go directly into the radiator, make sure you loosen the fittings on the lines that go into those fittings first so you don't ruin the O-ring in the aftermarket fittings. Tighten the fittings up close to the radiator first then when satisfied, tighten the oil cooler line fittings.

The warranty on the aftermarket radiator is void if you do not perform a flush of the new radiator before final filling.

And make sure you add more coolant after running the engine and check on the level of fluid for the next few days following and add more as needed.

Back