Replacing Front CV shafts and Hubs same time - Need Info Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing Front CV shafts and Hubs same time - Need Info Please

Traillover

Reaction score
City, State
Mesa, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ford Explorer Limited
Hey guys, my 03 Explorer is up to 110325 miles and now makes noise (binding, popping, etc.) when turning (while only in 4x4 high or low - on wet pavement).

I know there's more to consider (e.g. transfer case, diff) but I'm mainly targeting the front drive at this point.

I've owned this vehicle since 82K and don't have a clue as to past maintenance history (or care), but I've never had any serious problems (and want to avoid any in the near future)....

Here's my plan - to completely replace both front CV Half Shafts and both Wheel Hub assemblies, but I'm not sure about all the parts (supporting assemble e.g. oil seals) and I'm looking for some input because I don't have access to Ford's official Shop Manuals to validate this stuff....

So, with that in mind (CV and Hub replacement), what seals, bearings, or something I missed is missing?

Just off the top of my head, the only thing that I can think of is the oil seal to the differential (CV shaft to diff) will be the only thing I need?

My goal is to purchase everything at once, so I can rebuild the front without having to wait for the weekend to borrow my wife's car (since we only have two vehicles and she takes her's to work)...

Any input will be greatly appreciated.... Thanks.....

As far as I know, there aren't any additional seals you will need unless you have leaking from the front diff. But you know how these jobs always snowball. Don't be surprised if you find something else that needs replacing in the process. Just can't be helped sometimes. Regarding the bearings, if you're planning on keeping this truck, spend the money and get the good stuff, like Timken or Motorcraft. As for half shafts, I've heard the best bet is to get re-manufactured OEM, and not new parts. I was planning on checking out Detroit Axle when I do mine.

The work you are planning to due will not fix the issue.
While your hub bearings are probably bad (if they are original) neither they or the axles are causing the issue you described.
Is it while doing a hard turn at low speed?
There are some TSB's out there (can't find them as of now) about your issue.
It's either in the 4x engagement or gear issues.
Look for answers there, sorry I can't give more details on the matter.

Back