Rich smelling exhaust and rough throttle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rich smelling exhaust and rough throttle

Reaction score
City, State
Ocala, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ex E.B. 5.0 AWD
Hey I posted elsewhere but no responses.

I noticed my exhaust smells alot like gasoline and when I accelerate or open the throttle at idle I get a very rough response as in the engine shakes violently.

I thought it could be the O2 sensor but I'm not throwing any codes. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you have a misfire. Check the spark plugs, wires and ignition coils.

Rough throttle

Sounds like you have a misfire. Check the spark plugs, wires and ignition coils.

I just finished doing that a week ago. The person I bought it from had done it incorrectly and was running around with 7 of 8 cyliners firing. I'll go through and check again. And let you know.

check the fuel pressure regulator see if it is working properly,

you can check that by doing a fuel pressure check and pulling the vacuum line to see if it has a leak down condition,

Fpr

check the fuel pressure regulator see if it is working properly,

you can check that by doing a fuel pressure check and pulling the vacuum line to see if it has a leak down condition,

I had thought of that as well. I removed the vacuum line there was no fuel leakage or odor I could remove the whole thing but woul it be a pain.

Fpr

The FPR seems to be working correctly. The engine is still running rough. I think is O2 sensor but no codes. All cylinders firing from coil.

Update.

Okay I feel really silly. I bought this truck from a not very intelligent individual. He had already replaced to spark plugs and one wire. Well apparently he crossed the put the number 4 and 8 cylinder backwards. So I have been running on 8 cylinders and so had he...Oh man I swapped the two and now the truck is running like a champ. Also since then I've fixed his "5 min fix" for the blend door which he botched and replaced the shocks that I got for a deal from Amazon. In total repairs have cost me 200 including new blend door actuator, blend door fix from rockauto, and new shocks.

Back