right front wheel squeel while turning or going over slight bumps.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

right front wheel squeel while turning or going over slight bumps....

97 Eddie Bauer v8

Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Eddie Bauer
Ok guys, I did a search and came up with NOTHING related. Here's my question.

I have a HORRIBLE squeal, squeek, screech, "metal to metal" grinding noise emerging from my right front tire when I steer either way, even lightly, or going over bumps. Hell, even when I push down on the right side over the front tire it squeeks. It is VERY loud and VERY embarrasing.

What i've done at the time I started noticing it- I went over a 3 inch curb with my right front side at about 5 or so miles per hour...it didnt hit hard at all in my opinion, and as far as i can remember i didnt notice it RIGHT away... though maybe later that night or the next day I started noticing it. I have performed a torsion twist/shackle mod- but that was 3 weeks ago and I don't think it's that.

Again, when I turn my wheel, even just slightly in the front, it squeels like a *****. It sounds like it's rubbing metal and doing more damage the more I let it go. I did a light visual inspection of all the bushings in the area of the front right wheel (with the wheel/tire removed) one afternoon and they didnt look damaged. It was only a slight visual inpsection, though. My power steering pump is not leaking and it's filled plenty. The noise isn't coming from the left front wheel, either. I also sprayed some white silicone grease on all the visible busings- with no positive results. When I have the truck lifted up, it makes no noise when i steer. Only when the truck is on the ground, and the front right suspension is under the load does it make that noise. It only makes that noise when steering or when the front right is compressed (pushing down on the right front side, going over small bumps, large potholes, etc...)

Stock suspension.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the wheel bearings. I just had a bearing failure and it made a similar noise. But I guess you would have noticed it if you spun the wheel while of the ground. LOL

Agreed, I had the same screech-squeal when my ball bearings went. Mine were under warranty, but I'd estimate it would cost about $200 with labor to fix.

Do you really think it's that, guys? I mean if it were the wheel bearing, wouldnt it make the noise just when the wheel is spinning? It happens when just steering or during the very slight compression or decompression of the front right wheel. It even happens when the vehicle is NOT moving, and is steered or compressed/decompressed in the front right area.

thanks
christopher

Check your sway bar linkage, the link might be loose. Or the bushings could be dry on the sway bar that would also make an squealing noise when flexed. Hope you find it. Just for your info. bearings for the hub run about $10 ea. and $6 for a new seal and takes about 30 min. to fix.

The sway bar is also under recall. They have a problem with braking. You also may want to check your radius arm bushing. I'm not sure if this is one you checked. You almost need to pull it off to check it. Mine is starting to go bad, but I'm too lazy to fix it.....so sue me. I will say though....the wheel bearings were my first thought too.

ps...Adam.....when your wheel bearings go out again and they're not under warranty....I'll do them for 100. ;)

This was fixed a long time ago. It was the CV joint. Thanks!

I had the exact same noise, a very loud annoying squeek that occurred when the vehicle was standing still and the steering wheel was turned, or when going over even slight bumps. Found this to have been caused by worn upper and lower ball joints. Replacing them completely solved the problem. Best solution for replacement is to find aftermarket units that contain grease fittings.

Back