• Register Today It's free!

Rocker panel assistance

bizzs

Reaction score
City, State
Gibsonia Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I have a 03 Ford Explorer xlt and the Rocker Panel on the both sides are rotted. Does anyone know an easy fix for this without getting into welding and serious body work? I was wondering if there is some easy slip on panel and if so, where could I purchase one? My truck is solid as a rock mechanically and the garage will not pass the PA state inspection because of severe rotting on both rocker panels

Thanks
bizzs

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the straight section of your rocker panel is rotten. And you just wanted a cheap fix, I think you could get "rocker panel covers". You could cut most of the rust off with a grinder, then rivet these on, and do any additional bonds or filler work to cover the seams. Sort of a cheap band aid approach, but should pass inspection.

If the rot or rust extends onto the dog legs, or higher up on the truck, the complicated and contoured body work will almost certainly requires a more sophisticated attention.

Good luck,

Mr. Alligator

wondering how you handled this repair. what parts did you use? my sons 2004 explorer has the same issue. thinking about buyer rocker panel covers and riveting them on as suggested. may look like a hack job, but it should be an improvement over the rust that is there and hopefully will slow down some of the decay.
Thanks

Rocker panel covers are available on the Internet, but I just used a sheet of fairly thin steel. First, just cut as much of the rusted metal out as possible. If the rust is mostly over a straight run, this might be acceptable. If the rust gets into corner pieces, or "doglegs"", fabrication gets time consuming and pre-fabricated parts would be preferable. Then trry to treat any remains rust with rust inhibitor, primer, and paint. The most time consuming aspect will be waiting for rust inhibitors, primers, and paint to dry.

Either way, this is sort of a "bandaid" approach. Ideally, you would cut out the entire rusted panel and/or dog leg, then tack weld in a prefabricated section. But if you don't want to spend the money, enjoy projects, or just want to pass inspection, the idea of cutting, grinding and riveting could work for you.

Also, my Explorer has a plastic trim piece that covered most of the project. :)

Good luck!

I handled this project with the assistance of my 76 year old father who retired from doing autobody and mechanics many years ago. I did not want to bother him, but I could not find dog legs anywhere that extended up into the wheel well. I was reluctant, but I brought him out of retirement for some help

My father was a master of the craft and made these panels and dog legs from scratch. He made a template out of cardboard and used the pattern to design the dog legs. He traced them onto a sheet of metal and used electric sheers to cut the angles. He mig welded the finished design over the rusted area and used tiger hair to join the seams. He then feathered it out with body filler and finished it off with primer and paint. It looks fabulous!! As far as the rocker panels, he made these from scratch too. My rockers were completely rotted underneath, but the sides were solid. He cut a 48 inch piece of metal in length and bent both sides up about 2 inches to grab the old metal.He inserted the metal plate up into the bad rocker and spot mig welded it. He drilled out holes for the running boards and welded in new the new mounting bolts. He finished it off with tiger hair and feathered it off with body filler. It was primed and undercoated. The entire project took us about 3 days and it turned out phenomenal!! Total cost was about $125.00 for 2 rocker panels and 2 dog legs.

I thank God that he is still healthy and on this earth. I felt like a little kid asking for his help, but I think he enjoyed coming out of retirement. Its amazing how this old timers are a master of their craft. There were no computers or prefabricated parts back then and these guys had to design, especially for rust work.

Thanks dad!
bizzs

Bzzs,

^^^ Impressive skill and craftsmanship!!! Nicely done.

Back