ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
I am in the need of putting a spare tire on my truck, and I would like to have one of those rear bumpers with the swing-out spare tire style, but I don't have the $$ for the custom fab. So I thought of the next best thing, the roof rack! I have the factory little roof rack thingy - and I was wondering what roof rack could I use that would hold a 33" tall tire. I was also wondering, could I just get like a Jeep Grand Cherokees roof rack and strap that to my roof rack or does theirs fit directly onto the factory roof rack sliders? Any help and LINKS to roof racks that would work would be excellent. Thank you.

-Drew
2000 XLT 4Dr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I've been looking at the baskets (found one for about $130), but I don't want to just strap the tire up there, cause my truck isn't garaged and i do not want any black tire marks on my paint nor water sitting in one area for a long time. So I think the safari basket is my best bet - or I might come up with some ideas. Thanks

-Drew

I built my rack out of 1/2" emt conduit. took about a day of bending and welding and around 30$(truck bedliner paint and all). Strapped it to factory roof bars for a while. They just didn't hold up. Then I made some brackets to adapt flat bars (made out of painted uni-strut) to factory rails. Very simple. This allows you to use any flat bottom roof rack on the factory roof rails. I can send you some pics if you'd like. I believe I sent an email to you (DMB00) about the lift on your explorer. By the way let me say again. That is one sweet explorer!

Nathan - I just sent you and e-mail back. I was kind of shocked when you wrote me a post on this. haha - but yes pictures would be nice to see.

-Drew

no problem I'll get some pics to you as soon as I can. Just read your email too. Thanks a million!

Nathan

alright I'll send some to you too jimbo. They aren't that great though. I got my digital camera out to take a closeup of the brackets and the rack and for some reason It wouldn't work. I blew up some pics I had and drew a diagram of how it goes together. Not that great. Wish I could do better.

Nathan

Back