Roof Storage Max Weight | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Storage Max Weight

BirdExplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
I recently bought the cross bars and a soft cargo bag for the roof of 2015 Explorer assuming the roof was rated to hold some weight however looking at the owner manual of the Explorer it mentions that the roof shall hold no weight at all.

The way the cargo bag installs has the majority of the weight being on the roof its-self and only uses the luggage rack/cross bars as a strap tie point.

Has anyone here used the soft cargo bags to carry cargo while traveling?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it possible to add extra crossbars to keep the load off the roof? Even that will limit the weight to 100 pounds. Have you considered a roof top cargo box?

Peter

I don't want to sync another $100 into buying more crossbars.

I have debated on putting a thin board between the crossbars, drilling holes and then zip tying the board them down and then installing the cargo bad on top of that. I am not schooled on aerodynamics much so I am not sure if that would create lift that would put stress on the crossbars/luggage bars.

This would be for a 700 mile journey.

The load is supposed to go on the crossbars. NOT the actual roof. This is why the cross bars are adjustable.
from the 2006-2010 manual: The maximum recommended load weight is 100lbs.
Use the tie down loops on the thumbwheels (if equipped).

The load is supposed to go on the crossbars. NOT the actual roof. This is why the cross bars are adjustable.
from the 2006-2010 manual: The maximum recommended load weight is 100lbs.
Use the tie down loops on the thumbwheels (if equipped).
So the previous generation weight is the same as the 5th gen. Interesting.

Peter

Back