• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle

CTDUDE

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Limited
I have a 2003 LTD that has started having issues. When at a stop in any gear position (but Park and Neutral) a rough idle is experienced. It idles around 8-900 rpms. Seems to be no noticable problem while moving. No check engine light and no codes when I do a scan. When I place it in park or neutral it goes away. Tranny prob? maybe low fluid? How about a vacuum line or sensor? I appreciate any help. Then on to the no heat issue that started last night but one thing at a time....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would try clean the MAF and IAC...i did it to mine and you would be surpised on how good your X will run....

It shocked the heck out of me on what a little electirc cleaner can do!!!

Thanks I'll give that a shot. I figured it was related to the tranny since it's only doing it while in gear. Maybe that slight load is all it takes to affect the sensors? I will try it but for now I'm making an escape from the CT winter and heading to FL for a much needed break.

I have the same problem and have started a thread on it and no answers. Any help would be appreciated.

my 02 idles a little rough but as long as the rpms dont jump around i wouldnt worry about it...i actually had a problem until recent where the car would shut off on me when i was slowing down at a light or a stop sign...if the rpms hold steady i wouldnt worry...trying cleaning the maf and iac maybe it would help... :thumbsup:

first off: be sure to ONLY use MAF/Throttle body cleaner NOT carb cleaner. Carb cleaner can melt certain plastics & has been known to ruin some fine-wire MAF's. CRC MAF & Throttle Body cleaner is non-residue, doesn't stink up your hands.

Ok: to test the "needs cleaning" theory, which I agree 210% with that diagnosis: Remove the rubber intake tube from the MAF ot the TB. You didn't specify V6 or V8, but doesn't matter. on the MAF simply spray a light coat of cleaner & you're done. On the TB, installed on the Truck, spray the cleaner into a lint-free towel (I like the Blue- shop paper towels for this). Use your hand to open the throttle blade as far open as possible, swipe as far in as you can get. top & bottom. Wipe down the front AND back of the Throttle blade as best you can.

Put the tube back on, see if it solved the problem. 95% sure it will. If it DOES cure the problem, then go to the local parts store, get a new TB to manifold(v6) or manifold Elbow (v8) gasket. Take the truck home. Remove the tube again, this time completely remove the TB & elbow if equipped. BE aware some v8's have a coolant passage on the EGR side of the elbow. so you will have to either work with those lines connected or drain some coolant. Clean the TB completely & spray a good dose of the cleaner into the intake as well.

on the '02-'03 v8's & most all the 4.0L I am aware of, there IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve is a round lil can on the side of the TB or right near the TB. Be careful spraying/poking/proding. The plunger inside can get wedged easily at an angle. On the '04-up, the IAC is part of the Drive-By-Wire in the TB.

If cleaning the TB doesn't solve the issue. I'd start looking at transmission fluid levels (you can check it your self easily) & general repair history.

'02-03 trucks have a horrible track record with transmission problems.

Rob

yea just to be safe i use electric cleaner only and it works really well and drys fast...but i know on most of my cars everytime i have a slight idle problem i go to the MAF or the IAC

If cleaning the TB doesn't solve the issue. I'd start looking at transmission fluid levels (you can check it your self easily) & general repair history.

'02-03 trucks have a horrible track record with transmission problems.

Rob

Rob,

How do you easily check the tranny fluid?

Thanks

Back