• Register Today It's free!

Rubber volt gauge needle?

doonze

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, Ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 X Sport
Ok, so I fix one thing, so another can break. I just got my temp gauge needle to stop swinging, and today my volt meter gauge starts!

To be simple as possiable, it looks like a rubber needle. I mean it just starts bounching in a rubbery kinda way. I kinda looks like it's loose and is bouncing gently around due to a ruff road (but does this even sitting still)

It just starts, has a seizure, in a rubbery sorta way, then stops and is rock solid again. Useing power (blinker, windows, etc) can set it off, or it will just start for no reason. Also using something power seemed to sometimes make it stop too. Did it about 5 times on my way to work today, would last about 20 seconds sometimes.

When it does it, it seems the center of the swings is about right where the needle sits anyway. So it's not like it's swinging from one side to the other. It just moves about 1/8-1/4" above and below where it is at the moment...in a "lazy, rubbery" sort of way.

I keep saying rubbery, becuase if you have seen one do this, you will know what I'm talking about. I have NEVER seen a gauge act like this. Not even close. And if someone tied to explain it to me this is the way I might understand, but I don't know, it's very weird for a electrnic driven guage, I could see a mechanical gauge acting this way.....

Anyway, ring any bells?? Anyone seen this? And idea's? I'll try and get it to do in and put my MM on it this weekend, just getting ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your charging system to determine if the voltage is erratic or the gauge is bad.

That's my project for tomorrow... where should I check it? At the battery?

I'm pretty sure a loose ground will cause that... Mine done the same thing, I cleaned all my cables good and it hasn't done it again

Back