Running lights for trailer with 2016 Explorer Sport not working. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running lights for trailer with 2016 Explorer Sport not working.

johnnnyo

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2016 Explorer Sport. When I hook up the trailer the hazards, turn signals and brake lights all work but the running lights don't. Checked fuse #99 for trailer running lights (20amp) and its fine. Any suggestions where to start would be greatly appreciated. 7 pin plug.
Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Checked wiring behind harness and all looks well. Hooked up my Dodge truck and running lights work so I know its not the trailer. Scratching my head :-/

Are the running lights on their own plug wire? If so, have you checked for power there?

Peter

I checked and I cant tell which pin is the running lights on the big round plug.

I've been trying to locate a diagram of the harness but no luck.

The first time I plugged my trailer into my 2016 sport I had same problem, I had to push plug real hard to make contact. Never had any problems after that.

The first time I plugged my trailer into my 2016 sport I had same problem, I had to push plug real hard to make contact. Never had any problems after that.
Once it gets past the locking tab it should be connected. Cant push any harder than that. Are you referring to the four pin or 7 pin? My issue is with the 7 pin.

Update, FIXED :). Turned out to be the running lights 7pin receiver tabs on the trailer. It was spread too wide apart and not making contact but for some reason it was working with the Ram but not the Ford. Squeezed them together tight and all is good in the towing world. Thank for all the input and a special thanks to JAPeterson for providing me with the diagram which pointed me in the right direction.

Back