Sad to see it go, but it's time. Trans solutions to ready for sale? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sad to see it go, but it's time. Trans solutions to ready for sale?

billz260

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Sport
Well, after over 11 years and 120,000 miles it's time for a new daily driver. My X has 148,000 on it, havn't replaced much over the years. She's done me well, but it's time to move on.

Lately the trans is slipping when cold, what's the best way to correct this without a full rebiuld, or is that whats required? I want to fix it right for the next owner but I don't want to tie a bunch of $$ in it before I sell.

Don't know if one of these with a new filter and low/reverse servo should do the trick?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...010QQitemZ200189480858QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Other Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

used unit at a junk yard for around $300(btw most yards give you at least a 30-90 warranty) ,thats useally about the price shops charge to either drop it or open it up for .just find a truck with relativity low miles and see what the truck was like before the crash and see if it would be a good canidate to do this .like if the truck looked like it was well taken care of ( regardless of how it died...you can tell ...i can at least) ...chances are that the transmission will still be good .look at the fluid in it and see if it is brown instead of reddish color (good indicater) and see if you can if there are no leaks like around the rear outshaft seal.

if you buy something like this at this point since it's out in the open you can drain all the fliud in it easilly and change the filter /seals/and stall converter (big point here:thumbsup: ) with out much difficultlly before you stick it into it's new home .

Just called the Trans shop, I took it in early Monday, said it needs a rebuild and they quote 17-1800. So I'm going to pick it up and rebuild myself. I'll keep youall posted. Looks like I'll be hitting up several of the re-build threads quite often here soon!

Lowered the quote to 12-1500 depending on hard parts needed. Said he's able to do it by reducing the 12 month warrenty to 6.

I guess I can be bought, I though this was somethign I wanted to do myself but I just don't have the time or desire right now.

I took the x in this AM to get the trans should have it back by Friday or so.

Back