Safely Towing 4wd explorer that won’t start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Safely Towing 4wd explorer that won’t start

Brownpsu78

Reaction score
City, State
Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Is it safe to have the tow truck grab the 4wd explorer by the rear wheels and drag the fronts?
2001 Ford Explorer 4wd 4.0 sohc
I have the knob that says auto/4hi/4low
I’d guess without the computer on to tell it to engage 4wd I’d be good right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think you should be okay...

Got a second wrecker that put the front on a Dolley
But this would be a good thing for many of us to know for sure

There's a mileage limit on flat towing one without the neutral tow kit installed.

Also ,If you pull the shift motor you will see an H then an N then an L on the tcase if you move the pin that goes into the transfer case manually to the N that will be at the neutral position. The neutral tow switch just stops the motor in between high and low shifting to give you neutral.

Is it safe to have the tow truck grab the 4wd explorer by the rear wheels and drag the fronts?
2001 Ford Explorer 4wd 4.0 sohc
I have the knob that says auto/4hi/4low
I’d guess without the computer on to tell it to engage 4wd I’d be good right?
The problem is the t case is in between the axles and transmission. It spins any time the wheels do, driven by the driveshafts. The front would drive less of the t case, but still some.

Good to know for the future
Sounds like it’s always got to be all four wheels off the ground

With the t case in neutral your fine just your diffs and driveshafts will rotate. And Maybe a few parts in the t case. But a flat bed tow truck is always the best option.

For those of us that only have the auto/high/low switch does that apply? @bigred4x4

Yes it's the same tcase just a different program and plus they eliminated the center axle disconnect and went to a live axle (defeats the purpose of having 2wd really) and eliminated 2wd, people say it was because it was problematic but in my opinion they did it to cut costs because they only had it on the Explorer for 2 years and I doubt that it would have caused problems within that time frame enough for them to redesign the system Plus in 96 the last year they had it they installed the V8 motor that year which will not fit without eliminating the center axle disconnect housing if you think about it explores all the way up until 96 had two wheel drive and some type of unlocking mechanism for front axle/hubs and 2wd so yeah in my opinion they did that to cut production cost after they introduced the v8 . so it doesn't make sense to continue to manufacture multiple systems to put in a single-model platform. You can get the neutral tow switch installed or if you pull the shift motor off the back of the transfer case you will see arrows around the circular part where the motor goes on the back and you will see a capital H then and N for neutral and then an L for low range the 4405 does not mechanically switch from four wheel drive high and two wheel drive like the prior 1354 and must other tcase until then. it uses a ball ramp electromagnetic clutch coil to engage the front drive shaft the only time the shift motor is used on the 4405 is when engaging low range or the neutral tow function.power to the front axle is achieved via sending voltage down the brown wire.

Back