Saggy Door. FMExplorer, others, Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Saggy Door. FMExplorer, others, Help!

Gina

Elite Explorer Babe
Reaction score
City, State
Bellingham, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
FMExplorer, I saw you posted this in a message in the For Sale folder:

<<What's the problem? My doors used to sag and not close properly, but the fix was a hinge pin from an F150. Changing the hinges sucks... >>

My driver's side door is saggy crappy like that. 94 XLT. It was like that when I bought it, but I noticed that the hinge was not car colored (white). It was just metal. The good-working passenger side hinge is white. Looks like the driver's hinge has been replaced before.

Easy fix? Just buy a hinge pin from an F150 (what year?)? Anyone help! Thanks!!!

Before you go replacing the pin, check and see if you still have some adjustment in the door. The hinge has some play for adjusting.

It's an easy fix Gina, just buy hing pins from a early 90's mustang or F150 the # may even be the same. You have to cut off the old pins and pop out the old brass bushing, kinda a PITA but well worth the repair

Sheeesh, he's good looking and helpful:p

(superhero music in the background)
Look - It's Doorhinge boy! (aka - fmexplorer)

Alright - fine, it's Saturday night and I'm hone and bored, dso I got all excited to get a phone call saying there was a damsel in distress on the board...

Their right Ginagem...
The bushings on the early X's hinges are made of brass and they crush and warp easily. Repair is simple - buy a set of F150 hinge pins at your auto parts store. Open the door and fully support it from underneath (tool box or something like that). Use a dremel with a cutoff disk to cut out the old pin (cut it in half and tap out with a hammer and punch) then replace with the new one. Be sure to change the bushings and only do one hinge at a time - the doors are heavy! (past experience talking...)

Ya know - I must be getting old when I get excited to see me name in the headline of a doorhinge post ;)

Good luck Gina!

Jon

Back