scanner install; where? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

scanner install; where?

sphaugh

Reaction score
I bought a '99 XLT today. Sorta wanted a 4wd but couldn't justify it living in SC.

Here's the question: I have a Uniden scanner (BCT7 with 50 state highway patrol alert) & I want to install it somewhere convenient up front in my X.

Has anybody (1) purchased/built an overhead console or (2) fabricated a face plate which takes the place of the small bins below the radio? I'd like to see some pictures or hear suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sphaugh,
I have a scanner in mine, but it is mounted (temporarily) under my armrest. I am in the process of making a hanger/box for it under the ashtray, but I don't have a '99, it's a '93. If you want, you can go to my site and check it out...

Jon M

Couldn't justify four wheel drive? You get hurricanes in SC don't you? That means floods and mud and helping others... maybe, that's kinda the darker side of 4 wheel drive.:yelexp:

re: hurricanes

no 4wd. wish I had it, but realistically - I don't need it. nothing a winch can't get me out of; if it's worse than that I won't be there in the first place (don't quote me on that, though!)

Regarding the hurricane comment: this white boy will be in Atlanta if a hurricane is coming. when I get back, after the waters recede - I'll help everybody in sight. I know better than to remain in harm's way.

... back to the subject. anybody else install a scanner in a clean & slick manner?

You know, I actually do off-road with my '97 Mountaineer V8 4x2, and I wish that I did have have 4wd for emergency rescue and other stuff like that.

Anyway, I since you mention small bins under the radio, I am assuming that you have the high series console. Since I also have this console, I ended up having to mount my cb on the passenger side of this console using a bracket that is really just a car radio support strap (long metal band with lots of holes) bent to look something like a bracket & some velcro. I didn't feel like drilling holes at the time since I didn't know if I was planning on selling it within the next couple of years when I graduate from college or if I'm going to keep it a while longer. Right now, I'm goint to keep it since it's paid for, but my next vehicle will by an F-150.

Back to main point: There aren't too many places to put things in the vehicle, especially when it's fully loaded. I have no idea where I'm putting the scanner when I finally get one. I might put it either on the other side the of the console or on the driver's side under the dash. Hmmm....

Sorta the same idea.

Well I have a 98 Sport with the same center console that you are talking about. I do not have a scanner but I am installing a CB. What you need to do is remove the center piece that contains the 2 small pockets.(or bins) Just pull it out. There are 4 small clips in each corner that hold it in. Once removed you can take out those bins and replace the outer shell to give you an idea of what you are working with. After this is done you will notice that there isn’t much room in there. I then measured how deep I can go and how wide it is. Roughly 6 3/4 wide and 7 inches deep. Not much. I then found a CB that had roughly the same dimensions and took a dremmel and cut the SH*T out of my center console. The only other thing that I could think of was to remove my cup holders. And that would have been a cardinal sin. I will be taking pictures and posting them when I get them.

re: bin removal

thats where I expect to be installing my scanner (in the bin location) ... I'm not too keen on hanging something from the side of the console - now that I've finally purchased a 'nice' vehicle.

I look forward to photos being posted. thanks

Overhead Console

Just a thought: I thought of installing a stretch console flush with the headliner dome lights to the windshield something like what comes with the Limited Sport Utilities etc., that normally stores sunglasses garage door remote and scanners. Although I have not looked into the cost but would look great...My .02

I only wish.

On all the 2 door Sport modles come with sun roofs. No ceiling space.

anybody have in interior photo of a 99-2000 EB?

the eddie bauer version has a different console/cubby hole. maybe, just maybe - my scanner would fit in the eddie bauer style console in place of the buttons that are down low (I looked in the window of one & saw a different console - so this is a bit of a WAG). In a perfect world, it would fit great, and the EB bin would only cost 18 bucks or so....

thanks.

Why not take out the ashtray and modifie the hole to fit the scanner

Back