School me on tuners for modded '96 5.0! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

School me on tuners for modded '96 5.0!

Proformz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT V8
Hi guys, I recently acquired my third explorer - a '96 5.0, and will be doing a long travel project over the next few months. The ex is stock and original at 230K (still running good, gotta love quality Ford engineering!), however in the interest of dependability and performance I have already pulled the engine and tore down for rebuild. I am fairly experienced with the 302 from a fox body mustang perspective, but from reading through the great forums here, I can see there is quite a difference for properly modding the ex50, and being uneducated on tuners, I am looking for some suggestions and advice on the right tuner for the mods I have planned. I picked up an unlocked superchips 1715 microtuner on Ebay out of pure price opportunity ($90) but I'm in no way partial to it.... Looks pretty out-dated and according to the manual it is not intended for modded engines...

After some research, I decided to go with the following mods. After the rebuild I'm assuming I'll need the tuner to make everything jive. TMH, MAC CAI, Moderate low RPM custom cam w/ 1.6 RR, Jeg's phenolic intake spacer and flex-a-lite.

I don't want to go crazy on the tuner, I would love to program it once and be done...although in reality I'm sure that won't be the case!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Back