Seatbelt chime help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Seatbelt chime help

Shane369

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt
Ok what gives?!? I cannot for the life of me get this thing to turn off. I have tried over and over and over, nothing works. It seems there are different strokes for different folks... i have tried two main sequences. The normal 3 seatbelt click, lights on, lights off, 3 clicks, etc, and one where you just do 9 clicks, wait for the SEAT BELT light to come on, after it goes off 1 last click and the SEAT BELT light gives indication of its current state. Ok so heres what happens for me... in the last example it works perfect BUT its the AIRBAG light doing the flashing not the quoted SEATBELT light. Am I cutting my airbag on and off here?!? And finally when I do the other sequence, once I fet past the second set of 3 clicks, the SEATBELT light does NOT come on for me to continue the process. Ive tried fast, slow, moderate. It NEVER works. So one works with the wrong light, and one does nothing. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not guaranteed to work, but note headlamps on and off in deactivation procedure (Step 4)
[1.Set parking brake.
2.Place vehicle in park (auto) or Neutral (manual).
3.Ignition key is in OFF position.
4.Close all doors.
5.Unbuckle driver's safety belt.
6.Park lamps/headlights are in the OFF position.

Deactivation procedure:

1.Turn the ignition switch to the Run position (DO NOT START ENGINE).
2.Wait appx 1-2 min until the safety belt warning light turns off.
Steps 3-5 must be completed within 1 min or the procedure must be repeated.
3.Buckle and unbuckle the safety belt 3 times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled.
4.Turn the headlamps ON then OFF.
5.Buckle and unbuckle the safety belt 3 more times, ending with the safety belt unbuckled. The warning light will illuminate for 3 seconds.
6.Within 7 seconds of the safety belt light turning off, buckle then unbuckle the safety belt. Belt Reminder Chime is disabled/enabled.

The safety belt warning light will flash for 3 seconds to confirm that Belt Reminder is disabled./QUOTE]

http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/msgboard9e.asp?BOARDNAME=MSG&VIEW=1285166&SUB=1285282

Yep, thats the method I get to where on the 2nd set of triple clicks the light does NOT come on for the final delay and final click. Thanks though.

You are right sir! So in the ST manual it gives the 9 click variation however it says the AIRBAG light not SEATBELT light!! So good thank you good sir! So many ways ford, why!?!? Lol thanks mate!

I turned off the seat belt reminder chime in my '01 ST because it was driving me nuts. I followed the directions listed in my owner's manual, but it took me multiple tries to finally get it turned off. It's quite the procedure.

Back