Serpentine belt, tensioner, pulleys. Idle now quieter! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Serpentine belt, tensioner, pulleys. Idle now quieter!

fusseli

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.6L
Replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner today on my 02 4.6L, 145k miles. The belt was beginning to get small cracks but was in good shape, no idea if it had been changed before. I had noticed that my idle was starting to sound noisy as of late. Turned out the pulley on the original tensioner was shot (hard & rough to turn by hand, but no play), as well as the grooved idler pulley by the PS pump (easy to turn but significant play). I already had a new tensioner, a $25 Dayco, ready to go with the new belt. Used an ACDelco belt I got on closeout for $14. Idle sounds smoother now and I haven't even done the PS idler yet. Definitely recommended maintenance for any vehicle with >100k, and it's under $50 in parts.

The overall process for changing the belt and tensioner is very easy and requires few tools. I'm surprised there isn't a write-up. All you need is a breaker bar, a 10mm socket, and some patience. The toughest part is getting the tensioner bolts off, it was tricky because of the size and length of my ratchet. Routing the belt is easy.

n1u2.jpg

gphx.jpg

Back