Service engine soon light on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Service engine soon light on

resq302

Reaction score
City, State
Boonton, NJ (Morris County, NJ - 45 mins West of New York City)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer eddie bauer
The service engine soon light just came on in our (new/used) 2005 Explorer Limited that we just got from a GM dealership. The vehicle only has 29,301 miles on it and the dealership just did an oil change prior to us accepting delivery on it.

What would cause this light to come on? The "service engine soon" light is on steady and not blinking or anything. The message center in the instrument cluster had read oil change needed when we took the car for a test drive and was reset when they did the oil change. Any input would be greatly appreciated before I go back to the dealership tomorrow and rip them a new one for selling us a piece of crap. I have a scan tool at my house that I can check for codes but would the scan tool show a code for the service engine soon light? I know the scan tool can read the check engine light codes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you get an owner's manual with the used car? There may be many reasons for the light, including the previously mentioned oil change. Using the scan tool is another good idea.

Probably a little early to conclude that there is a significant hidden problem. Just my .02.

No, there was no owners manual with the car. I do have one coming though. I can always look up what the service engine soon light means in my 2005 F-150 if needed. The thing is they supposedly checked over this car and after 3 days of having it, the light comes on. Needless to say, I am not happy at all.

I've never understood what original owners do with owner's manuals when they trade in the car? Keep them? For what?. Anyway, good that you are getting one with these more complex vehicles.

I was mentally spooling through what I am aware causes a service engine soom light and cannot come up with anything that could be 'gamed' to into come on to allow selling, but then come on several days later. It would be a bummer if something requiring repairs failed that soon after buying. Did you get any warrantee? Duh, I jusr re-ead your original post and see that you should still be under the original factory warrantee, unless the original placed in service date was more than 36 months ago. Probably a good idea to go to a Ford dealer and get the oasis record for this car (that is, if you did not get it before buying the car).

Good luck with figuring it out, though. I hope it all turns out alright for you.

We did get an extended warranty through the GM dealer where we purchased the car. 3 year/ 60,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper, BUT we have to bring it to a GM dealership as the warranty is through GM, not Ford but they will have to replace it with ford parts if they can not get any parts that match.

Since we bought this vehicle used, does the basic 3 year/36,000 mile factory warranty still in effect or no because it was a used car sale? Either way, they guaranteed it to pass inspection and it has not gone through that yet since my wifes plates are waiting to be transferred over.

We did get an extended warranty through the GM dealer where we purchased the car. 3 year/ 60,000 mile warranty bumper to bumper, BUT we have to bring it to a GM dealership as the warranty is through GM, not Ford but they will have to replace it with ford parts if they can not get any parts that match.

Since we bought this vehicle used, does the basic 3 year/36,000 mile factory warranty still in effect or no because it was a used car sale? Either way, they guaranteed it to pass inspection and it has not gone through that yet since my wifes plates are waiting to be transferred over.

Sounds to me that you have at least three warrantees:

(1) The original Ford 36 mos/36000 miles, which is not specific to the owner, but goes with the car until expired. My only questions would be - what was the original "placed in service" date? As an '05, it could have been placed in service in September '04, making the warrantee expired.

(2) The dealer's guarantee to pass inspection (written in the contract, I hope).

(3) The extended warrantee purchased through the dealer. I would be very surprised if that was not a third party warrantee, in which case there is no requirement to go the selling dealer, but I could be wrong. I would read the fine print on the contract that should have been provided at point of sale. The point here is twofold: (a) if the dealer was foisitng a bad vehicle, would you want them telling you if anything is wrong with it ? (goes to credibility), and (b) seems like a bad arrangement to be tied to a specific dealer, particularly a non-manufacturer's agency.

You may also have a fourth "warrantee" or option; in many states you have several days to return a vehicle with no questions asked. I think it is three working days here.

All that said, the check engine light can come on for very innocous reasons, including not having the gas cap on tightly, or filling up the gas with the engine running, etc (just two easy examples).

For my vehicle, the second thing I would do if I got a CEL would be to disconnect the battery, let stand for a few minutes, and reconnect it, and see if the CEL reappears, and try to figure out the circumstances at which it did return. In your case, I would definitely not disconnect the battery, in that you want the CEL to stay on until you find the cause, in case it turns out to be something significant.

My first thing I would do is to check the codes - that helps me to ensure 'truth' at the delaership when they go to figure it out.

Again, good luck.

Welcome to this forum! The check engine light could trip while filling it up with gas while the engine is running. Read the codes to see what the actual problem is. A lot of people here have issues with the DPFE sensor, vacuum lines, or other things which could cause this light to come on.

Ok, I just got home from work at the police job and talked to the wife. She got gas yesterday and put some miles on it since today as the tank is now down to 3/4 tank. I hooked up my scan tool and got the code P0463 which had something to do with a fuel sensing system hi reading or something like that from what I can remember.

Hope this helps. I am bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say.

Thanks for everyones input. We had the dealership that sold us the vehicle check out the car today. The code turned out to be a fuel sending unit hi read code. They said that the float must have went above the sensor reading area if that is possible. Either way, it reset and has not come back yet.

Thanks for everyones input. We had the dealership that sold us the vehicle check out the car today. The code turned out to be a fuel sending unit hi read code. They said that the float must have went above the sensor reading area if that is possible. Either way, it reset and has not come back yet.

Wow, never heard of that one before. I usually top off my tanks pretty good.

Hope it stays okay for you. Thanks for sharing the outcome.

BTW, I know but a tiny fraction of what the pros on this site know. I goota believe that I have saved some money and aggravation by checking out the knowledge here.

WTF!?!??! :mad: The same code came back again. Looks like I am going back to the dealership AGAIN tomorrow. Since this was a used vehicle, it needs to have inspection done with in 14 days of getting the transferred registration. With this inspection light on, it will certainly fail the inspection per NJ DMV law. Good thing the dealership said they guaranteed inspection.:thumbsup:

Take another party with you..

WTF!?!??! :mad: The same code came back again. Looks like I am going back to the dealership AGAIN tomorrow. Since this was a used vehicle, it needs to have inspection done with in 14 days of getting the transferred registration. With this inspection light on, it will certainly fail the inspection per NJ DMV law. Good thing the dealership said they guaranteed inspection.:thumbsup:

Take someone other than your wife with you, don't go alone. And if you are not able to keep the vehicle due to these issues, make certain they reimburse you for the costs of the work you had done -

OR -

If the vehicle can be inspected by Ford (check warranty and State law), let them have at it, and advise GM of the issues you are having - not the dealership - talk to GM.

So far, they have charged me nothing for it yet. I will advise them of a TSB that I found on this issue.

Hopefully it will be resolved and I can get it through the state inspection tomorrow.

Well, more progress. The Ford dealership said the fuel level sensor was replaced about 1000 miles ago per the Ford central computer. They do not want to replace it again so they are now going to replace the whole fuel pump and sensor assembly as a unit. The vehicle goes in Monday morning for this work to be performed as they said the car has to have 1/4 tank of gas or less otherwise they would have to pump it out and we would not get that gas back.

Has anyone had the fuel assembly replaced outside of warranty? If so, how much did it cost? Did you go to the dealer, or can you go to any repair shop? (The problem just occured with my 2005 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6L

Thanks,
Steve

Any competant repair shop can replace a fuel pump module.

Has anyone had the fuel assembly replaced outside of warranty? If so, how much did it cost? Did you go to the dealer, or can you go to any repair shop? (The problem just occured with my 2005 Mercury Mountaineer 4.6L

Thanks,
Steve

I have been told to expect $4-700 depending on the fuel pump installed (they wouldn't know until they remove it). Unfortunately my fuel level sending unit becomes faulty when the temp falls below 65, and throws the code and SES light. It is really just a minor annoyance, except for the fact that I have to have the emissions testing done between Dec and Feb, when the temp will most definitely be below 65... Really didn't want to spend the money on it at this point...

Back