• Register Today It's free!

Should I take this 2004 XLT?

tipdrill

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4dr 2wd
Hi All, I used to frequent this forum a lot back in 2006-2009 when I had my 2000 XLT. I really enjoyed my Explorer and it was a great first car.

Now, I'm back and would like some input on a decision. I've been offered a 2004 Explorer XLT - 4.0 SOHC, 4x4 (if you count an open diff in the back a 4x4 :(), leather with I think around 90k miles - for free. It was my grandfathers car and since he passed last year, the Explorer has been mostly just sitting in the garage. I've read a few threads on here and it seems this isn't the most reliable Explorer made, and probably less reliable than the 2000 I had.

I drove it the other weekend and noticed a few things -
1.) I hear a chirp coming from the engine area. I hear it in line at the drive-thru. It's a rhythmic chirp. It has done this for years so maybe it's not serious, or maybe it's the harmonic balancer? I just skimmed that thread so not sure at this point.
2.) Transmission seems to shift "hard" from 1-2. It used to just slip right on into 2nd, but now I feel it shift.
3.) There is a rattle in the dash since an AC shop did some work on the blend door. If I remember correctly they didn't fix it the right way as it was too expensive for a vehicle that was barely driven. I did a brief test of the AC and it seemed to be cold.
4.) Brakes were replaced a few thousand miles ago.

So, why am I considering it?
I sold my 2003 Z71 Silverado around a year and a half ago because of it's age and size (extended cab with groceries, and all the parking garages made it frustrating to drive), and bought a 2014 VW GLI. But I really miss my truck (I had it customized right to my liking) and I miss having a truck bed or even a cargo area. The Explorer would allow me (hopefully) to save money (no more car payments, insurance savings, plus the Explorer's eventual trade-in value) for a new truck.

What my reservations are -
1.) I will take a big hit on depreciation of my current vehicle. I've had it appraised a couple times and I've lost around 50% of the original value in 1.5 years. Maybe it wouldn't cost me too much more in depreciation to drive it a few more months? Just don't want to put any more money into it (tires).
2.) The transmission feeling different has me questioning the reliability of this Explorer. Having to put a $3k transmission almost defeats the purpose of doing this.
3.) Reliability in general. Having some factory warranty on my current car helps with piece of mind.

My plan would be to drive it for a year or so, put probably 20-30k miles on it before trading.

So, what are your thoughts?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd take it as a second, but not as a replacement. People shouldn't get into Explorers unless they like working on their own cars.

I've never had just one car, not for a long long time. As a rule.

I have some doubts. I picked up a 2005 for $2400 because the KBB value for a personal sale was $8550. I was immediately overwhelmed with how complicated an Explorer is. Now I'm getting the impression it's expensive to keep it running.

I fixed the 4 bald tires, the power windows, the leaky thermostat housing, the fall-down air intake flap, the EGR valve, the brakes, the ball joints, a chronic tranny leak, and bypassed several defective parts in the dual air system. It still has problems with the dome lights, the radio, and some buttons on the cruise control (it won't "resume"). The key fob/auto lock/ horn-toot doesn't work and it doesn't seem to have an alarm system, but I don't call those problems. They are just more things to go wrong, and they did. I'm not going to fix them.

If it will just stay together while a retired person puts less than 5000 miles a year on it, we will be friends, but I kept the '96 Aerostar behind the shed in case I need a spare. It's a beautiful car, but I wouldn't do this twice, and certainly not with a transmission problem. You say you can get one for free? No, you can't. You're going to have to call that transmission part of the purchase price.

I purchased a 2010 VW Jetta (leather fully loaded 2.5) to try to make my 2004 explorer "last longer" because it was at the 130k age where the starter, alternator, etc left me stranded in the wilderness..not good... I owned the two for about 3 years until I got completely frustrated trying to maintain two vehicles, repairs on both, inspections, registrations, I moved 3 times owning two vehicles. Just a Pain for someone constantly on the move IMO. I NEED a truck. I don't need a car. So i traded in the jetta, took my couple thousand dollar hit, sold my beloved explorer to my neighbor (so I still get to look at it everyday) and purchased a 2013 Ram 5.7 Hemi and downsized to owning one vehicle. Currently I am 3 months in, and I LOVE my Ram. 24mpg in a v8 on a 50 mile backroad trip I take a lot, thanks to MDS...and the power is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a hefty investment, but I am one who takes care of his vehicle meticulously so hoping this is my truck for the next 10 years!

I have some doubts. I picked up a 2005 for $2400 because the KBB value for a personal sale was $8550. I was immediately overwhelmed with how complicated an Explorer is. Now I'm getting the impression it's expensive to keep it running.

I fixed the 4 bald tires, the power windows, the leaky thermostat housing, the fall-down air intake flap, the EGR valve, the brakes, the ball joints, a chronic tranny leak, and bypassed several defective parts in the dual air system. It still has problems with the dome lights, the radio, and some buttons on the cruise control (it won't "resume"). The key fob/auto lock/ horn-toot doesn't work and it doesn't seem to have an alarm system, but I don't call those problems. They are just more things to go wrong, and they did. I'm not going to fix them.

If it will just stay together while a retired person puts less than 5000 miles a year on it, we will be friends, but I kept the '96 Aerostar behind the shed in case I need a spare. It's a beautiful car, but I wouldn't do this twice, and certainly not with a transmission problem. You say you can get one for free? No, you can't. You're going to have to call that transmission part of the purchase price.

Oh man you own and Explorer AND an Aerostar?

I'm sorry, but that sounds like a full time job keeping those two vehicles running properly. :D

What I've learned with my Explorers is once the mileage starts getting up there, there is some maintenance or repair every month of the year.

Oh man you own and Explorer AND an Aerostar?
Here's my method: I buy a 10 year old vehicle, fix it up over the course of weeks or months, then drive it until it rains on the inside. Not counting the initial fix-up, In ten years, the Aerostar has cost me both tie rod ends, a power steering rack, a battery, an alternator, a starter, a radiator, 2 or 3 pairs of $20 brake pads and a wheel cylinder. The air conditioner busted an aluminum pipe last fall and that was the last straw. You can't enjoy a car with no A/C in Florida. Meanwhile, the interior looks like it was used to contain a tiger fight, the shifter only connects with reverse, neutral, and drive, it's had a light on about evaporative emissions control for years, and, of course, it rains on the inside. There are no more Aerostars in the junque yard. Apparently I bought the last one. I can't even find a dead Econoline so I can steal the inside passenger door handle off it.

If the Explorer acts that well, I'm happy. If it acts like a P.O.S. that inspires several websites, I'm going to sell it for way more than the $3000 I have in it.

This might Jinx me but I have an 05 Explorer, 4.0 V6 with 101,900 miles and I love it. I realize my mileage is not approaching the 130,000 mark yet but my EX has been very reliable. Other than regular maintenance I have only replaced a thermostat housing, an alternator and a rear blend door actuator (All repairs I learned how to do on this website).

Now the bad--My downside would be MPG. I get 15.5ish in the city and 19ish on the highway. I think I am coming up on some front wheel bearings and at your mileage I bet your is close also. But this would not deter me from your vehicle.

As Number4 said take it as a free second car. And if you hate it in a month or a year sell it or give it to another family member who could use it.

Back