side mirrors "autofold" no longer works | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

side mirrors "autofold" no longer works

Contrails

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Explorer Limited
New 2022 Limited, has 450 miles, bought in June. A few days ago the automatic folding function of the side view mirrors stopped working. I have to use the manual folding button if I want to extend or fold them. I checked that the mirror auto fold is "on" in settings. I'm reading the manual again to see if it is something I'm doing wrong. Ever heard this before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect the ground side of the battery and let it sit ten minutes, then reconnect. My Limited did all sortsa weird electrical shenanigans like that.

Would that be the positive or negative terminal? This battery sure is in a difficult place to access.

Mine is the outboard post. Yep, Ford didn't make battery changes easy. Not looking forward to doing mine. Easier than the Escape, though. For that one, you have to remove the wipers and the cowling.

I also noticed that the key fob function that will roll down all four windows when you hold down the unlock button no longer works. Question: when you re connected the battery after ten minutes, do you lose all settings that I have input, for example those that connect my car with my FordPass app on my iPhone? No big deal, I can just reprogram them. Just curious. Thanks.

I also noticed that the key fob function that will roll down all four windows when you hold down the unlock button no longer works. Question: when you re connected the battery after ten minutes, do you lose all settings that I have input, for example those that connect my car with my FordPass app on my iPhone? No big deal, I can just reprogram them. Just curious. Thanks.
I don't know about ALL but you may lose some.

If you disconnect or replace the battery
and your vehicle has an automatic
transmission, it must relearn its adaptive
strategy. Because of this, the transmission
may shift firmly when first driven. This is
normal operation while the transmission
fully updates its operation to optimum
shift feel.

Peter
NOTE: Post was edited as profile showed a 2013 XLT but member has a 2022 Limited. Update requested via PM.

IF the window is not auto-down (or up), the fob won't open (or close) it. ForScan will enable remote-close, but not if the window isn't "auto-". I miss that on my Escape - all windows were auto-. Most settings will stay. A "system reset" thumps more stuff.

I can only guess that he has the feature Mike since he indicated it no longer works.

Peter

I'd like to know how remote open/close is enabled for all four windows.

I'd like to know how remote open/close is enabled for all four windows.
GLOBAL OPENING
You can use the remote control to open
the windows with the ignition off.
Note:You can enable or disable this feature
in the information display, or see an
authorized dealer. See General
Information (page 116).
Note: To operate this feature, accessory
delay must not be active.

Peter

Disconnecting the battery for ten minutes did the trick. Thanks for the tip. I only had to reset the clock. I also reset the battery sensor per the owners manual.
I am not going to enable the key fob windows down feature because the manual states that the window bounce-back feature must be turned off, and I don't want to do that.

GLOBAL OPENING
Information (page 116).

Peter
My 2013 MKZ had global open and close. On open, it would also vent the panoramic roof and on close it would also close the roof from any position including the sun shade. I only used it a few times in 5 years. I don't remember ever needing to use it on this Explorer since I rarely open windows and since it has dark tint, it is well-shaded enough to not get too hot.

GLOBAL OPENING
Information (page 116).

Peter
That doesn't open the rear windows, only the front.

That doesn't open the rear windows, only the front.
Do your rear windows have the one-touch up and down? If not, it is my understanding that they won't (Global) open.

Peter

Do your rear windows have the one-touch up and down? If not, it is my understanding that they won't (Global) open.

Peter
That's what I've been saying. With no "auto ...", the global open or close doesn't work. My Limited had both open and close only on the front windows after I sicced ForScan on it. Prior to ForScan, only the front windows had global open. Only my Escape had auto on all four window. That's something I miss about it.

Disconnecting the battery for ten minutes did the trick. Thanks for the tip. I only had to reset the clock. I also reset the battery sensor per the owners manual.
I am not going to enable the key fob windows down feature because the manual states that the window bounce-back feature must be turned off, and I don't want to do that.
That's on windows up, not down.

Back