size for cap style oil filter wrench | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

size for cap style oil filter wrench

LMHmedchem

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT v8
Hello,

I need a new oil filter wrench of the cap style you need for these filters. There are a number on amazon, but I'm not sure what the correct size is. The one I have just has a square hole in the top for the socket, but when the socket extension is in the hole, the end of the extension prevents the wrench from fitting completely on the filter. I will be using a Motocraft filter.

I would like a wrench the looks like this design where there is an extended area for the socket extension to seat.
Toyota Oil Filter Wrench for 1.8 Liter Prius, Prius V, Corolla, Matrix, Lexus CT200h, Scion iM, iQ & xD

The model above is not the correct size for my explorer so it would be very helpful if somone here could point out one that is the correct size.

LMHmedchem

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hopkins #6 . By far the best filter wrench I've used for the Motorcraft FL-820S. Only drawback is the graphite 3/8" square drive is soft and tends to round off if skewed. To prevent stripping use a 1" SIX point socket, especially when using an extension. Use a layer of paper towel inside the socket to hold the filter. Universals work well with this setup.

Amazon.com: Hopkins 10606 FloTool Super Graphite Filter Wrench, Size #6: Automotive

The one that has 36 flutes.

this is filter wrench I used, made things way easier on my continental and mounty.... 93mm

10403614_905309572875170_5136366840095516676_n.jpg

Link I have the same one, it works really well.

this is filter wrench I used, made things way easier on my continental and mounty.... 93mm

10403614_905309572875170_5136366840095516676_n.jpg
I have that one, but I also got the one that fits filters with larger (less flutes) flutes too since only the Motorcraft FL-820S has 36 flutes.

I've never needed a wrench. I always oil the gasket and install hand tight and I have always been able to remove it by hand.

I do own a strap wrench should I ever encounter a stuck one.

Back