• Register Today It's free!

Smoke From Vents!!

coastie8407

Reaction score
City, State
Newport News, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I was driving from Baltimore to CT last night and about 2 mins from my destination I started to smell burning. Next thing I know my defroster vents are spewing smoke into the cabin (it was set to defrost, but set more cold than hot....towards the middle). I pulled over, checked the engine bay and no smoke. After a few minutes it stopped spewing smoke and then returned to normal.....aside from the cloud of smoke inside my car and the smell. Is this a bad heater core? or is this indicative of another problem like burning wires etc. Any help would be appreciated....thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it smelled like smoke, it wasn't just Condensation !?!

Yeah it was your heater core that went. Don't worry it's an easy and cheap fix, about $15 and half an hour to an hour to fix depending on how much experience you have. There's a great write up here that you can search for it will walk you thru the process step by step. good luck

Yeah, it def. smelled like smoke. It hasn't done it again since. I went ahead and bought a heater core and am going to replaced it. Also, since this happened my a/c blower will only blow when turned all the way to max. There is nothing between off and Max anymore (same for heat). Would a bad heater core do that? doesn't seem like it should.

The heater core would not likely cause your blower to run on only high. The reason your blower is runing on high only is because your blower motor resistor went bad, this is mounted right next to the blower motor on the right side(looking at it from the front) it has 2 screws holding it in and has a wire harness clipped into it. Good luck, the heater core will be an easy job, even easier with a second person to hold it from the front as u reinstall everything under the dash.

If the blower motor only runs on high speed, yes, it sounds like the blower motor dropping resistor blew. The resistor is located in the air duct, so that's why the cabin filled with smoke when it burned out. It should be easy to replace: just a plug-in harness and 2 screws to remove it from the duct. I don't think there's a need to disassemble anything to get at it.

Bob

removed by poster, repetition

when you have the resistor out check for leaves and debris insiude the case, mt x smoked and found that the resistor was burning dried leaves,scared the crap out of me

Back