• Register Today It's free!

Snowflake in the Windshield

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
I've had my 2015 Limited for about 2 months now and just recently noticed that there's a weird looking etch design or something in the lower part of the windshield (bottom part where the clear glass ends and it turns black by the firewall). It's basically just above glove box, maybe slightly closer to the center of the vehicle. What the heck is this? Looks like it has a hole in the center of it too through that black part of the glass. Is this a sensor of some sort or am I unlucky to have had a something hit the windshield already? It's literally a perfectly shaped nice snowflake, almost too perfect for a rock or anything to have hit it. I appreciate your input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you post a pic?
You have to use Photobucket or other picture site, then post the link to the pic on here.

At least try to verify if its got a hole in it - take your phone, put the cam on max zoom, and try to take a steady pic of it.
Then review and zoom in to see details of your pic.

It does sound like a rock chip, its not a sensor.

If it is a snowflake then it is a manufacturing defect in the glass. It occurs when not all the air is pulled out between the two layers of glass and the safety film in between.

Ford will replace the windshield under warranty.

Probably a rock chip in the windshield.

If it is a snowflake then it is a manufacturing defect in the glass. It occurs when not all the air is pulled out between the two layers of glass and the safety film in between.

Ford will replace the windshield under warranty.

x2 My new Explorer had this same issue about 4 snowflakes in the bottom of the windshield. Dealer is replacing with new windshield today under warranty.

I'm not sure if this is a manufacturer's defect or not. I kinda feel like it serves some function because on opposite side of it, it has an upside down letter "T" in it. I don't know. I have my first oil change scheduled next month so I guess I can make mention of it to the service advisor.

Can you post a picture please

...that aint no feature...

Windshield de-lamination.

Yeah that's a manufacturing defect.

Wow, never seen something like this other than when it's been really cold and frosty out.

I'm having the same issue with the 2015 Explorer Sport we purchased a couple of weeks ago. It is now in the shop waiting for the windshield to arrive from back east so they can replace it. A bit embarrassed to admit that I first thought they were stickers that could be easily removed. :-/

My new 2015 that we bought a couple of days ago has the same issue. The service advisor told me that the glass is delaminating and they have to replace the windshield. It's not a big deal, your service department will just get the windshield replaced under warranty. Mine looks like a giant snowflake at the base of the windshield with a smaller one near it.

De-lamination... huh, never heard of that. What would happen if you just left as is? Did the Svc Dept say anything about that? With having to remove the inspection sticker, reapply etc... my biggest concern is if the Techs at the dealership will put the windshield on correctly as the factory did when it was built? I'm reluctant to replace it for that reason. Or is it a simply procedure that they can't mess it up and the seals will be good, no noise etc. as the factory built it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

De-laminated windshields tend to continue to de-laminate, like a crack that spreads. It should be a covered warranty issue. Also, a good windshield installer can remove the inspection stickers and re-apply them. They have on every windshield I've ever had done.

Back