SOHC Chain Noise?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SOHC Chain Noise??

red450ih

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 98 4WD with the 4.0 SOHC engine.

Will these chains make noise at idle similar to something vibrating when they are about to fail? Mine has 150K and has been making this noise for about 10K but thought it was a catalytic converter shield until today when I was able to pull it in the shop and listen to it.

From what I have read these have 4 chains, correct?

Will I have to pull the engine to replace all 4 chains?

Should I buy Ford parts and are they updated?

Will any special tools be needed for "timing" the chains?

What does this usually cost at the dealer to have them do it?

Any help in answering these questions would be much appreciated so I can make a decision very soon.

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I have read these have 4 chains, correct? Yes, 4 chains

Will I have to pull the engine to replace all 4 chains? Yes, you will

Should I buy Ford parts and are they updated? Yes, the front cassette has been updated 4 times

Will any special tools be needed for "timing" the chains? Yes, an OTC or Rotunda tool is needed.

What does this usually cost at the dealer to have them do it? $2,500 seems to be average.

I also have a 99 SOHC with about 156,000 on it. It has recently started making a noise from the lower front of the engine, right behind the crankshaft pulley. I have read some posts in here about the timing chain tensioner going bad. The noise sounds metallic. The funny thing is that it does not seem to change with rpms.

I took it to my mechanic. He spent an hour trying to diagnose where the noise came from, very thorough he is. So, that is what he/I came up with for the cause of the noise. My question is if the tensioner is the cause of the noise? The manual said that this is a 10 hour job, or so. I would hate to get into it and find out that this is not the culprit.

Also, is it recommended to replace the chain and gears at the same time? I would think that would be the case. As long as you are there, right? I'll probably have him do the water pump, "as long as you are there". Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

You can repalce the primary chain tensioner and guide, or Ford has a kit that includes eveything to do the job including the chain and gears. This is going to need to be done at some time, and I would do it. Your noise could also be the balance shaft chian/tensioner if you have the 4x4 model. This is even more work, but it may need to be done. It is of a very weak design

Thanks for the information. I do have the 4x4 version. Just keeps getting better and better:rolleyes:

Thanks bluestream1 for the info.

Do the updated parts eliminate the problem?

Does the Ford kit have everything to do all 4 chains?

Does anyone know the cost of parts to do all 4 chains?

Is there a parts number list posted anywhere for the chain stuff?

Has anyone rebuilt one of the engines, meaning pulled the crank rods and pistons out and such.

Thanks for the information. This site is a real big help to me!

If your going to break the engine down to the tensioner, you might as well replace the chain as the service life on them is around 150k.

red: The updated parts are going to be a replacement for what is failing now so yes if it is indeed your chain failing it will fix the problem.

There should be several rebuild threads about these engines.

Back