Solenoid Pack - Learn from My Mistake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solenoid Pack - Learn from My Mistake

Sixonemale

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XLT Appearance Pkg
I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 and when it had about 157,000 miles on it I had the transmission rebuilt, but with a rebuilt Sonnex solenoid pack. About nine months after the rebuild the OD light began to flash and threw the Code P0755 - Solenoid B, but the trans shifted perfectly. I took it back to the transmission shop and had it diagnosed and transmission was working fine, but since it threw solenoid code, I had new rebuilt Sonnex solenoid pack to replace the old one. It then threw two more solenoid codes that referred to Solenoid B & C, while transmission shifted smoothly. I searched and searched for a bad connection that may have moisture or oil it and also searched for electrical shorts, lots of time put into it. One transmission shop diagnosed it and said the transmission is running fine and there are no Shorts, so it must be the PCM. I finally came full circle back to the solenoid pack and after having new rebuilt solenoid pack in my trans for only three months, replaced it with brand new OEM solenoid pack that I purchased for $280. You can also buy them on Ebay, Bosch, for about $240.

Bottom-line, DO NOT USE A REBUILT SOLENOID PACK, they don't seem to work in this transmission.

Bottom-line, DO NOT USE A REBUILT SOLENOID PACK, they don't seem to work in this transmission.

They do not seem to work, period. You really cannot "rebuild" one of these solenoid packs. The only reliable option is to buy a new one of the latest revision from a Ford dealer. Places like Tasca have them for just under $300 shipped to your door.

Back