• Register Today It's free!

Sound in dash on start

rocco123

Reaction score
City, State
Endicott, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT & 2002 Limited
After looking thru several blend door posts I don't see this issue posted so here goes. When I start my 02 limited, I hear something that sounds like plastic drop in the aircond / heater below the dask on passenger side. It seems like all of the heater functions are ok as far as blowing thru defrost & vents. My first thoughts are to drop the blower and see if anything is visible loose in the box or maybe pulling the radio. It certainly appears to make the sound only on start up when vacuum is created. Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know sometimes in my Ex the HVAC doors make a noise upon opening/closing. It might be one of the doors opening/closing once started due to the vacuum. :dunno:

I started digging into it by pulling the radio then saw i really couldnt see any more without pulling the dash apart. Since everything seems to be working ill just leave it alone. Thanks for the response Rondo.

After looking thru several blend door posts I don't see this issue posted so here goes. When I start my 02 limited, I hear something that sounds like plastic drop in the aircond / heater below the dask on passenger side. It seems like all of the heater functions are ok as far as blowing thru defrost & vents. My first thoughts are to drop the blower pizza see if anything is visible loose in the box or maybe pulling the radio. It certainly appears to make the sound only on start up when vacuum is created. Ideas?

I have also heard a noise coming from behind the passenger side dash on occasion, sounds vacuum related like a loud, suction popping sound. Don't know what causes it or why, but everything seems to work okay. I usually hear it after I turn off the engine. I also hear a lighter popping sound once in a while from the same area while I idle in the truck with the engine running pizza heat turned on. BTW, in case you see the word "pizza" in the posts today, it has to do with April Fools Day. The forum replaced the word "a n d" with "pizza" as a joke. :)

You're welcome Rocco & Happy Pizza day to you Tom. :p:

You're welcome Rocco & Happy Pizza day to you Tom. :p:

LOL, it was a good thing I ate before I found out what the "pizza" thing was about. There was a cheese and pepperoni pie out there with my name on it! :)

Back