Spare tire

9COOP5

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Exp XLS
2014 Exp XLT
I kept hearing this rattling noise like a chain or something in the rear. Thought it was in the hatch area. Finally checked tonight and the spare tire was loose moving around a lot. I could not get the tire to raise to tighten so I had to lower and remove the tire until I can get the hanging wire that holds the spare fixed. I had a tire plugged and the guy must not have put back on tight enough, and now it will not raise. I put the wire in between a hole in the bumper area for now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How much too loose was it? The rim wasn’t upside down, was it?

I could move the tire around back and forth easily enough for it to bounce around in the back while driving.

I’m guessing it wasn’t upside down, then? Did the cable look damaged?

Cable is not broken actually looks good

If the spare is upside down, then the rim is too close to the body of the vehicle and the cable will not tighten properly. Drop the tire, turn it over and try it. Or at least look at it. If it appears to be set properly, maybe drop the tire all the way and retract it again, maybe it's binding up and it's hidden.

Ok I will try to turn the tire the other way around

The thought just came to me that maybe Ford does it that way on purpose so that the air valve is accessible so people can check the tire pressure without dropping the tire. A spare with no air is not much good.

Had my winder wrecked on another vehicle by the %$#& mechanic trying to lower it with an impact gun a few years ago. It didn't help either that he had it set the wrong way first. The service manager stood up for the mechanic saying that according to the manufacturer you are not to use an impact gun on the wheel nuts. Very poor comparison. They did agree to replace the part for their cost of the part. Truck was 9 years old anyway.

Air gun was used by 2 people to remove and put tire back on.

Back