Spark plug question - pics below - Please critique | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Spark plug question - pics below - Please critique

Ozz1967

Reaction score
City, State
St. Cloud, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Hey all,

Changed my plugs tonight and good gawd were they a pita to get out. Mostly because they were frozen in place.

This was the third plug back on the drivers side.
IMG_20141207_160225_zps78huusce.jpg

This is all the plugs on the left side, from the front to the rear (left-right). You can see that number one plug (Front drivers side plug) has some massive build-up on it. The picture above is the second from the right in this set.

IMG_20141207_190023_zpspiawwug3.jpg

Here are the passenger side plugs. They all look much better than the drivers side however, they were all very white and ashy looking. I apologize for the rotation, the bottom plug is the front plug on the passenger side.

IMG_20141207_190056_zpskprvzawj.jpg

If any of you know what that corrosion is all about, I'd love to hear it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To me, They look like ash fouled plugs. Associated with additives / oil burning build up.

White-gray ash deposits are oil and coolant burned off on the plug.

You're going to have to do a compression test, yes, you have to screw a compression tester in all those plug holes.

Maybe do an exhaust gas test on the coolant first, if you get a reading then you know a gasket needs replacing.

Possible oil return ports clogged causing build up on plug? Are your valve covers weeping at all?

my guess is coolant is getting into the combustion chambers on that bank. head gasket maybe... do you find you need to add coolant periodically?

Back