Sport Trac ABS theories & myths | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac ABS theories & myths

I had the opportunity to crawl under my ST today and found a few unpleasant surprises.
  • One of the stabilizer links is broken.
  • I have trans fluid dripping off my radiator.
  • After I got the truck warmed up & checked the trans fluid it was too full.
I'm scared :(

The good news is after I played with the ABS sensor wires and checked them for shorts and breaks my ABS system didn't act up at all on the drive home from work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well now i think im in some serious shyte.

so i finally got around to replacing the "faulty" abs sensor. since my truck would pull hard to the left before, i replaced the right sensor, because i had been told its usually the sensor opposite the direction it pulls. when i removed the old one it broke, exposing the wire coil and making it un-salvageable. got the new one in and everything put back together, i put a new 10A fuse in the ABS fuse spot, and took it for a test drive. first time i come to a complete stop, i get closer than i use to before abs kicks in, but it did still kick in and pulled slightly to the right this time. i figure, well maybe both sensors were bad and the right one was just worse. pulled the fuse out again to drive home. go to make a left turn into my driveway again, and the steering wheel is shaking like crazy in my hands. like, BAD. im gonna go in a little bit and see if i can figure it out, after i order another sensor, but i figured id leave a post here in case anyone has any ideas as to if theres something else wrong im ignoring.

Wow rokr,

The only thing I've heard about shaking wheels came from a ST enthusiast I met while making deliveries. He saw my ST and started telling me about his. Said he had a problem with the steering wheel shaking like the truck had a very bad, off balance tire but no shop could find any thing wrong with the wheels or suspension. Finally, some one had figured out that the the rack had gone bad internally. Once he replaced it he said it drove like new.
Another thought would be driving in 4x4 mode on dry pavement. A bad front diff or axle.

There's my two cents. My advise is worth what you paid for it.

Good Luck!

The light could be burnt out. Does it turn on when you first turn the truck on? I too have abs problems but that's because of the larger tires and ford won't say whether the reprogram will even help.

so i finally got around to replacing the "faulty" abs sensor. since my truck would pull hard to the left before, i replaced the right sensor, because i had been told its usually the sensor opposite the direction it pulls. when i removed the old one it broke, exposing the wire coil and making it un-salvageable. got the new one in and everything put back together, i put a new 10A fuse in the ABS fuse spot, and took it for a test drive. first time i come to a complete stop, i get closer than i use to before abs kicks in, but it did still kick in and pulled slightly to the right this time. i figure, well maybe both sensors were bad and the right one was just worse. pulled the fuse out again to drive home. go to make a left turn into my driveway again, and the steering wheel is shaking like crazy in my hands. like, BAD. im gonna go in a little bit and see if i can figure it out, after i order another sensor, but i figured id leave a post here in case anyone has any ideas as to if theres something else wrong im ignoring.

We had a similar problem in one of our other vehicles. It ended up being a stocking caliper. Not really sure how to test it. But I'm friends with a couple of the guys at Car Works in brandy station. They do really good work there by the way. Hopefully yours can be something do simple.

Back