• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky Suspension

HER4x4

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
The suspension on my 97 Sport has been squeaky ever since it got cold out. I know I need to sway arm bars, and other then that my boyfriend tried WD40 on the springs and it still squeaks. Is there something I'm missing or is this a common problem when it gets cold? I'm not too worried about it, just want to know what it is.

I'd recomment you get a can of white lithium grease instead of WD40. WD40 can damage the bushings and boots used in the front end components. It also will dissolve or displace the grease used in many of the lubricated bushings leading to premature failure. Most front end squeaks are from the ball joints. Sway bar bushings, body mounts, and control arm bushings add some potential noise makers as well. Usually it's best to have one person rock the truck up/down while another is listening at the front of the vehicle under the bumper and then by each tire. The source shouldnt be too hard to pinpoint.

Thank you for your help. I'll have to give that a try and let you know what happens.

Back