squealing right front while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

squealing right front while driving

pamdal

Reaction score
City, State
York, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer Srt Tr
I have an intermittent loud squealing/grinding type noise coming from the right front while driving. Turns and curves do not seem to affect it. I feel no binding in the front end, not affecting braking either. I'm concerned about the bearing and the 4x4 hub, but cannot remember the 4x4 set up in this vehicle. It also sounds clunky while the noise is occurring, which is why I was concerned about 4x4. The noise started for my husband while driving on the highway but went away over a bump. I drove it for 25 miles before it reappeared. There are no warning lights on either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

maybe a bearing...??? that sounds like a bearing problem....there has to be some metal to metal contact going on...

First thing to do is, stop driving it. I'm sure you already know that.

Sounds like bearings to me as well, do you know a decent mechanic? Are you/your husband going to do the work or have it done?

Sounds to me like it could be a bearing, but the first thing to check is the brakes. The bearing on this particular vehicle is much like the 95-01 explorers in that it uses a unit bearing hub assembly. If you want to replace it, simply remove the wheel and tire, remove the brake caliper and bracket. remove the axle nut, and then remove the three bolts holding the hub to the knuckle. Installation is the exact reverse of removal, just MAKE SURE you find the torque specs somewhere when reinstalling all the parts other wise you could have a reoccurring issue or have something fall apart. If you feel this is too much for you to accomplish at home, or you feel it is beyond your skills, stay on the side of safety and have a trusted certified/experienced technician diagnose and repair your vehicle for you. COCO.

I took the vehicle to a local Ford dealer, thinking that even though the noise was not evident they are the most familiar with this vehicle. It turns out the right front bearing had excessive play. I'm having them replace it. We're not happy with the expense of the repair, but it sure is cheaper than having a wheel come off while he's on the highway, injury to him or someone else, not to mention a tow bill for up to 50 miles. I was considering replacing it myself, but the only repair I've managed to talk myself into was an alternator....far cry from replacing a wheel bearing! Maybe next time, if this ever happens again.

Wheel bearing failures are common on the 4x4 Ranger/Explorer front end.

Back