ST Tuning by Unleashed Tuning - Highly Recommend!! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ST Tuning by Unleashed Tuning - Highly Recommend!!

I'm not sure if any members from California have tuned their Explorers but I did find this.
An exhaust system must meet a certain noise requirement which most aftermarket exhaust systems violate so those are illegal. An intake can be legal only if it has been CARB certified by the manufacturer which most aren't so those are illegal. Tapping into the ECU to change the tuning is illegal.
I'd be very surprised if there weren't any 'tuned' vehicles there.

Peter

Thank you Peter,
I want to lower it for sure, but also wanted to tune it because I want to wake it up a bit, but really dislike how it shifts. After reading some of the results in your link, I might get in trouble for the FORScan changes I want to make... very sad.. I am curious what others in this nanny state are doing.

I'm not sure if any members from California have tuned their Explorers but I did find this.
An exhaust system must meet a certain noise requirement which most aftermarket exhaust systems violate so those are illegal. An intake can be legal only if it has been CARB certified by the manufacturer which most aren't so those are illegal. Tapping into the ECU to change the tuning is illegal.
I'd be very surprised if there weren't any 'tuned' vehicles there.

Peter

Hi Everyone
I was interested in tuning my ST and did some reading on other Ford forums. Considered Livernois, 5Star, Palm Beach Dyno and contacted some others that offer tunes for my Raptor like ORA, MPT. JDM, Cobb, etc but most of those don't offer tunes for the 2020 ST yet. I ultimately chose Unleashed Tuning/Torrie. He tunes via HP Tuners. Purchase process was painless after my initial email to him. He answered a few questions via email back and forth within minutes, on a Sunday evening.

Paid $599 for the HPT MPVI2 module and necessary HPT credits. I pulled a copy of my stock tune file and emailed it to Torrie. In less than an hour I had a tune file back. I had spent some time emailing with Torrie before purchase letting him know my goals with tuning (better driveability, less lag, better mpg, power down low, larger/flatter torque curve, etc. vs just a higher peak HP). Once I loaded the first tune from him, it was immediately noticable it had more power, transmission behavior was better. He had me send him back a log of the tune using the HPT VCM Scanner program which I did and within an hour, had a revision based on the log that was even better. Rinse and repeat a few times with more revisions and he kept finding ways to refine how it felt. I havent had a chance to get to a dyno yet or try any DIY 0-60 runs but by the butt dyno feeling, its much quicker. Transmission behavior is spot on, and my city mpgs are up about 2-3, highway mpgs are up about 3-4. Working with him on some revisions over the weekend to see if more power can be tuned safely so will have a few more revisions to try out and will update the thread periodically.

I am not affiliated with Torrie or Unleashed Tuning except as a paying customer and receive nothing for the review, nor was I asked to post anything, just sharing my satisfaction with the tune and Torrie's customer service. Anyone thinking of tuning and wanting something more personalized than an off the shelf tune from some of the others mentioned above, I would recommend Unleashed Tuning for sure!! Cant wait to get to a dyno and see what amount of gain he was able to tune!
Thank you for the in depth review.
The forum keepers should Feature This Review

Back