Stalling 2002 Sport Trac, IAC okay, NO MIL or codes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling 2002 Sport Trac, IAC okay, NO MIL or codes?

stilbo

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XL Base
2002 Sport Trac...

Stalls when warmed to normal operating temp does not stall when cold.

Weird thing is it will not stall when in reverse!

No MIL No codes.

Stalls when decelerating at stop.. Cruises okay, accelerates okay. Hard restart.

Cleaned IAC valve and replaced IAC hose (was okay but while I was there....)

Checked IAC valve @ 9.4 ohms, not open or shorted. 11.4 volts at wire connector.

MAF wire is clean. No obstructions in air inlet path.

All hoses check okay with no vacuum leaks.

Fuel pump was replaced 6 months before symptoms.

Condition began after owner replaced spark plugs and air filter.

This is driving me nutz.

Can the IAC valve check okay electrically and still not be operating correctly?

Don't want to pop $42.15 = tax to find out it didn't need one.

Temp sending unit?

Thanks,

r.stillabower@comcast.net

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can the IAC valve check okay electrically and still not be operating correctly?

Yes, it is possible for the valve inside the IAC to stick in the bore. Take it off the intake manifold and look inside for any evidence that it may be rubbing (shiny area on the valve that moves inside the body). Cleaning may help free it up if this is the case.

Thank you dogfriend.

I've not seen anyone post anything about the possibility to observe the valve's movement.

Could one just connect the IAC wires while it is off the manifold and turn on the key and observe the valve's actual movement?

I'm not sure. In my case, the truck wouldn't idle properly when warmed up and would stall out if you shifted into R or D unless you kept your foot on the gas slightly. When I took the IAC off to replace it, I could see a shiny area just in one spot where the valve was rubbing inside the bore.

I did not try observing it with it off the manifold and hooked up, but I don't see why you could not do that. If you start the truck, it will be sucking air thru the IAC port, so the truck won't run right (huge vacuum leak).

Thanks!

I FINALLY talked my cheap brother into just buying the IAC valve. I found one wholesale for $44.17

rds

Hey I have been having the same issue with my '02. It seems to only stall after it has been warmed up and it will only stall while I'm driving. Or coming to a stop or starting back up again. I was wondering if replacing the iac worked for you.

04 sport trac doing same thing

i have a 2004 ford explorer sport trac v6. a couple days ago the check engine light came on for fuel rail pressure sensor high input. runs fine until i stop then it dies. if you restart in neutral then shift back to drive it dies. if restarted in neutral then shirt to reverse then to drive it wont die. i replaced the fuel filter and fuel pressure sensor the code went away but still dies at stopping. i am dumbfounded on what it could be. please help did replacing the iac fix your problem

Back