• Register Today It's free!

sticking clutch

Riverside

Reaction score
City, State
Puget Sound
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer 2 door
This 95 Explorer has a problem with the clutch sticking in the "disengaged" position, take your foot of the clutch and it goes no where. I have seen plenty of clutches that won't disengage, disk stuck to the flywheel and or pressure plate or hydraulics issues but never this. I suspect it's this funky internal slave cylinder/actuation mechanism hanging up somehow, there is no problem with the clutch fully disengaging and it shifts fine, just doesn't disengage so I see no reason to suspect a hydraulic problem. I haven't found a good picture of the entire unit and where exactly it could be hanging up. Really don't want to pull the transmission, thinking of trying to shoot some PB Blaster or similar in there to free things up. Anyone had this issue? What was your solution?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this a now and then problem or are you stuck in that position and unable to drive it?

Now and then, when it sticks if you wait 5-30 minutes its will unstick itself, a few times when you let off the clutch it would do nothing then a second later grab and jerk forward, It picks the worst times to do it, twice I have had to push it out of an intersection.

I'm no clutch expert, but the slave is THE weak point in these clutches. Usually though, when they fail or start to fail, the symptoms are not being able to put it in gear when stopped.
There is a view port on the lower front drivers side of the bell housing, where you can pull out the rubber plug and inspect things as best you can.
That's all I got, hopefully someone else will chime in...

I pulled that cover off, which looks like where a release fork would go with a conventional slave cylinder setup (of course the exhaust is right in the way) without getting it up on some ramps I can only see the nose of the slave mechanism. When I get it up higher I will be able to contort myself in a better position to see. I am just going to try saturating the whole mess with some penetrating fluid and maybe some lubricant, as long as it doesn't get on the the clutch disk itself I don't see what harm it could do.

Just my two cents, but I would start by bleeding the system to see if that cures it.

I don't don't know just what the slave looks like in these things but I'd guess there's a piston that's worn crookedly in the bore and it hangs up.

What about the clutch disc sliding up and down the splines?
Can it slide too far and hang on something?

Not reviving a necro-thread, just tacking on later-revealed info since it comes up highest in web searches and leaves the reader hanging.

This problem has become more widespread as these vehicles age. (Just hit with it myself for the first time a few months ago.)

Most of the afflicted note the trouble is:
  • Triggered by warmer weather (OP posted in June)
  • Never occurs when vehicle is cool
  • Frequently or always happens after warm-up
  • Disappears when weather cools in the fall

The most-agreed on solution is:
  • Reposition / reattach heat shield on clutch fluid line if needed
  • Replace clutch fluid (bleed until clear)
  • Pull clutch fluid line away from heat sources (exhaust manifold and line) and secure
  • Do not squirt or spray lubricant anywhere

Back