Still 3rd gear issues after vb, sol pack, servos | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Still 3rd gear issues after vb, sol pack, servos

WiDSM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 55s
Long time lurker here, first time posting.. I swear ive read every post about how others fixed 3rd gear flare and intermittent harsh reverse etc. I first did the oring servos, fluid and filter, that was a headache, it seemed a little easier to get into 3rd after. Then installed superior shift kit, no change for 3rd but going into 5th it surges a few times around 50mph. Then i replaced the solenoid pack, new fluid again, which did nothing. Ive checked resistance through pcm plug on sol pack, intermediate shaft sensor, output sensor, tcc, temp sensor, all checks good. What am i missing??? Im about to put a brick on the gas and watch it sail off a cliff.

Also, after driving around a while the od light flashes, then it goes into 3rd fast and harsh if on the gas too much. Someone please help im lost here!!

Edit to add: 02 4x4 xlt flex, trans 5r55s 115k miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This happened on my '05. You are feeling it go into 4th most likely. As I recall, 3rd is a band issue.

we mine started slipping I got a remanufactured and it had Hella harsh shifting between 2nd and 3rd and a little and little 3rd to 4th . they swapped it out and gave me a different one that just stopped working one day. they said they have had nothing but problems with the 5r55w. the one that's in now won't shift till 3000 the original would shift at 2500rpm. I've had 3 different transmissions in and out 4 times.

Its definitely going into 3rd, i can feel 4th and 5th from there but 5th shudders like a tc issue. Which just started after the shift kit. I haven't checked pressure, no gauge, but once the od flashes (limp) it shifts fine though harshly into 3rd.

@Desire 5r55s

I should add, i had to turn the adjuster wayy in on the front band (OD) after the servo kit

Its definitely going into 3rd, i can feel 4th and 5th from there but 5th shudders like a tc issue. Which just started after the shift kit. I haven't checked pressure, no gauge, but once the od flashes (limp) it shifts fine though harshly into 3rd.

@Desire 5r55s

I should add, i had to turn the adjuster wayy in on the front band (OD) after the servo kit

The OD flash says there is a code available to help you. Check it. imp

@Desire 5r55s

The OD flash says there is a code available to help you. Check it. imp

Sorry i didnt get back sooner. I just had the codes read from the Ford service center. They said its not showing up why the MIL is on but gave me a printout that says P1400 WTF. Google says differential pressure sensor circuit?

Sorry i didnt get back sooner. I just had the codes read from the Ford service center. They said its not showing up why the MIL is on but gave me a printout that says P1400 WTF. Google says differential pressure sensor circuit?

P1400 is related to the Exhaust Gas Recirculation system, (EGR). This is a valve which the computer opens to allow exhaust gases back into the engine to be "re-burned". It's so critical to controlling emissions that they put a position sensor on the EGR valve to tell the computer if the valve was moving open and closed as commanded. The sensor is called the "DPFE" sensor, or "Delta Pressure Feedback EGR" sensor. The trouble code is saying the voltage level is lower than it should be. Read all about it here:
https://www.engine-light-help.com/egr-valve.html imp

Thank you for the information. Could this relate to my shifting issues? I read that the pcm can not relearn shift points or adapt rather, if there is a fault. It sometimes shifts decent but other times just does not want 3rd gear.

Thank you for the information. Could this relate to my shifting issues? I read that the pcm can not relearn shift points or adapt rather, if there is a fault. It sometimes shifts decent but other times just does not want 3rd gear.

@WiDSM I have never heard that one before. Kinda doubt it. We're second-guessing all the way about the mind-set of the car maker's programmers. Sometimes I've found that not doing that is better, and good common sense leads to the cause of an issue. It would not be extremely costly to replace the EGR valve, which if not done, aside from the transmission issues, will keep throwing the EGR code and CEL, anyway. In many cases, the flashing OD OFF light is not a precursor to getting the CEL ON. That has happened to me. But, there WERE transmission codes present, no CEL ON. I would hope the dealer is not blowing a smoke screen, to secure added expensive work. Depending on where you stand, it might pay for you to buy your own code reader. For around a hundred bucks, they are available to read all three types of codes, Emissions, Powertrain, and ABS. If you buy, be certain it is "CAN" Protocol Capable, and also ABS capable. I use a Bosch OBD 1100, O'reilly Auto Parts, $99.99. imp

Update: I replaced the DPFE, now no more CEL and i passed emissions finally lol. Im still having shifting issues however. I swear its different every time i drive it or replace something. So before, i would have to let off for it to shift into 3rd. Now i can still apply throttle even if bounces off the limiter, it skips 3rd and goes into 4th with a clunk. Sometimes if i go up a hill it does downshift seems like into 3rd because afterwards i have 2 more shifts getting back up to 50+. I can manually shift 1st, 2nd, not third. Drove around for a while and no OD light. Im frustrated. Should i replace the TPS just for the hell of it? I hear that can cause problems as well. Thank you for the help so far anyways, I do appreciate it.

@WiDSM I'm getting frustrated thinking of all the work you've done! Wish I could help! Now, if I remember right, 2002 Ex did not yet have "drive by wire", is that correct? IF it did, you would have experienced far worse difficulty than you so far have. A faulty TPS on drive by wire will immediately throw a P2106 "Forced Limited Power". That's because of the possibility of a "runaway throttle" like the Japanese had a rash of, was it Honda? If you like, I'll go farther with the DBW scheme, but not here.

"Drive by Cable" has much greater latitude for TPS operation. I'm having a tough time relating TPS trouble to shifting problems. Errant TPS ought to throw codes, voltage out of range, something like that, sensing out of whack between engine speed & load vs. TPS setting.

"2 more shifts getting back up to 50+." Bear in mind if you watch the tach and see 2 drops in rpm, you're seeing 4th. upshifting to 5th, then Torque Converter Clutch re-engaging. Going up that hill, depressing the gas pedal causes TCC disengage first, then if still not enough "oomph" based on eng. speed/load "look-up" tables, it commands downshift 5th. to 4th. It's likely you are not seeing 3rd. at all.

You say there is no 3rd. in Manual 3? From a standstill, in "3", does the vehicle not try to move forward? If you have no 3rd. gear, codes should be present related to shaft speeds. There is a "Routine by Symptom" chart calling out No Engine Braking in Manual
3rd, but I do not have that routine chart, it's Routine 280. My book only goes up to 273. I would try shift from D into 3 at about 50 mph, no throttle. It will drop from 5th. to 4th. to 3rd as the vehicle slows down. Each downshift, throttle closed, should be visible as a tach. speed increase. If tach. suddenly goes to idle speed, or wavers a lot, suspect no 3rd. gear braking. Then try to look up that routine. It's in Ford Shop Manual. Wish I could help more. imp

I have seen a TPS cause some strange behavior without throwing a code. If it has a 'flat spot' in the voltage/position curve, it may act weird without the voltage ever being out of range.

If you have a voltmeter, you can test the TPS. This is a pretty good video.

Thanks for the replies! So it doesnt downshift when i put it it manually in 3rd from 50. EDIT: It does downshift. It does pull forward from park in 3rd. I tested the maf while opening throttle and am getting smooth voltage readings, likewise to the TPS while the key on engine off. It seems to shift fine if i kinda baby it up to 30mph. Too much and it hangs in neutral, and if im going too slow it wont shift up at all and i have to put it manually into 2nd, speed up, then go into D and apply light throttle. I need this POS to work!! What else can i test with a meter? Or what else could be bad that affects shifting? Should i do plugs and wires? It runs fine but a slight rough idle, doesnt sound 100% smooth that is. Hope this helps. Thanks again for your time guys

I'll add, when i put it in drive it makes a weird noise like a door creaking slowly lol eeeerrrrr

Anybody?? Drove to work a few times no CEL yet

Back