Stolen Keys, now what? - Ignition Cylinder Replacement Options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stolen Keys, now what? - Ignition Cylinder Replacement Options

93EBS

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 EddieBauer Sport 5spd
Hey I'm new! Why? Because StolenKeys = Ignition Cylinder Replacement Options

Nice forum. So I thought I would try my problem out after not finding anything.

I need to replace the ignition cylinder without having the key!!

My house was robbed and they took both sets of keys to my 93 EddieBauer Sport. That night I took the battery out and pulled the cables in case they decided to return. :p:

The locksmith wants $250-300 to rekey. So, does anyone know how to get the cylinder out without having the keys in order to access the release pin???

Any help would be appreciated!!

Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn Bryan, that totally sucks. I can't tell you how to do what you want to do, but at least let me welcome you to the site. There is plenty of information here and the search button will become your best friend :D

See ya around

SoBeLover.. Thanks for the welcome. Yeah it sucks. Insurance doesn't want to cover it either. I searched around and from what I found, if I had the key it would be a no brainer. If you hear of anything let me know.

I have heard of drilling the cylinder to get it out, but I would want to hear from someone who was able to do this before I tried.

My house was robbed and they took both sets of keys to my 93 EddieBauer Sport. That night I took the battery out and pulled the cables in case they decided to return.

The locksmith wants $250-300 to rekey. So, does anyone know how to get the cylinder out without having the keys in order to access the release pin???

I have heard of people drilling the cylinder out, but I would want to hear from someone who has done this before.

try another locksmith. my son-in-law got his rekeyed at home for $75. ford dealer with your vin may be able to help.

Same subject...Threads merged..

a friend had one re-keyed for about $50, so if I were you I'd shop around

Thanks. I'll shop around. They know they got you.

I bought my 92 explorer from am impound yard and it didn't have any keys. The impound yard had a set of Ford master keys on hand that they let me use. It was a set of about 100+ keys that work on about 75% of all ford locks of that era. I tried each key one by one until I found one that would release the ignition. They let me take the key to a hardware store and had a duplicate made for 99 cents.

I was then able to remove the lock cylinder and replace it. I wasn't able to find the master for the door locks, so I later went to a salvage yard and found an Explorer with a set of keys in the ignition. I took the door key from the set and removed all the locks from the two front doors and tailgate and put them in my truck. Whole episode probably cost me $10.00. (a fair amount of time however-but I am as cheap as they come).

I guess what I am suggesting is trying to find a set of master keys from a towing company or an impound yard. Your local Ford dealer might also have a set of master keys or another locksmith in your area. Good luck.

That's a good suggestion. I would have to find someone to come out to the house with the keys in order to try it, but it might be a whole lot cheaper.

The salvage yard having the keys makes sense. I will have to ask around.

Is your cylinder OEM from the factory? If so write the VIN down go to ford. Tell them the VIN, they call some one and 10minutes and $10 later you have a nice new key.

PROBLEM SOLVED - -To my surprise, I came home last night to the kids throwing me a birthday party. But my birthday wasn't for another week! The kids gave me cards, and there was a small box. I open it, and whala keys!!!!!!! At first she didn't tell me how she got the keys, but I told her that I had to post something.

So what did she do????

Wouldn't you know it, my wife (who is awesome) got a locksmith to install a new cylinder for the cost of the part. It turns out she had a favor coming from a contact she had while working at BMW.

Sorry I can't share any pictures, stories, or elaborate diagrams on how to fix this problem, but I can tell you what I learned. This applies to first Gen Explorers. Mine is an 1993 Eddie Bauer Sport 5spd.

- Ford CANNOT look up your key code off the VIN on 1993 explorers. I contacted a few dealerships and Corporate headquarters and they don't archive back that far. Why? I have no idea. Do they know we are still driving them? I did however forget to ask them what years the do have. Thanks to Charlie's 93EB for that idea.

- Shop around for your locksmiths. There are those that will try to overcharge you for a simple job because you have no other option. It gives the legitimate guys a bad name so shop around for a good locksmith and then tell all your friends. (However, they may not all owe your wife a favor so don't expect to get it for free) Thanks retiredsparky and Lost216 for the advice.

- If you know the original dealer who sold the car, contact them. They usually record the original key codes in their records and can look up the code for you. In my case the dealer had just recently closed. I did find someone to look for records, but they only had them back to 1993. Mine was purchased in 1992. (bummer).

- You can drill the lock to get the cylinder out, but it can be risky. So do your homework and be carefull. I found a locksmith who makes tools that make it easier to accomplish this, but I am not sure that he can sell them to the general public, I called once but didn't get in touch. You can check it out at his website www.aablelocksmiths.com.

- Master key sets are out there for most older cars that don't have chips. Check the salvage yards and some locksmiths. Then again salvage yard have the huge electric magnet and fork lifts. Thanks to Ruff94 for the tip. I still can't believe that they let you copy that key. Maybe it could have started mine.

- Ignition vs. Door cylinders. The key is broken up into two sections the bottom section is for the ignition and the top section is for the doors. So, if you rekey the doors and leave the ignition or vice versa, you should be able to take the keys to a locksmith and have them cut you a single key that works both. I was told this would work by our locksmith, but have yet to have it done.

- LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT - My personal learning experience is don't put all your keys on one ring, Make copies and stash one or two because they cost only about $1 if you have the key, and finally get a good guard dog, my lab probably licked the burglers to death.

Thanks again.

Hey I'm new! Why? Because StolenKeys = Ignition Cylinder Replacement Options

Nice forum. So I thought I would try my problem out after not finding anything.

My house was robbed and they took both sets of keys to my 93 EddieBauer Sport. That night I took the battery out and pulled the cables in case they decided to return. :p:

Bryan
First of all welcome, someone took my key and wouldn't give it back so here's what I did to change it with out the key and it works, I took a screwdriver and a hammer gave it a good bang and was able to turn it with no damage. What can I say it works

Long ago a friend bought like a repossessed 90 or 91 Ranger at auction with no ignition keys. It was the older smaller body. Though I imagine all the pre PATS era stuff similar. Anyway you remove the plastic clamshell thing around the steering column and if you look on under side of steering column where lock cylinder goes, you will see a little pin sticking down in a hole. With proper key, this spring loaded pin will retract easily. But if you dont have the key, you need a small pin punch. Two or three whacks and it drives the pin up out of its hole and you can just pull out the cylinder lock by hand. Autozone sold new key lock with keys for like $15 back then. New lock cylinder inserted puts its own pin in the hole. Voila, new key and truck started right up, we didnt even have to jump it. He got lot use out of that Ranger.

Thread is 11 years old

Thread is 11 years old
Alas just put it down to senility as my brain is lot older than that.

It popped up when I was looking at home page, I didnt look at date of when the thread originated.

Still useful bit info on the older models if you werent aware of it. I remember I went with my friend to get the thing, thinking we just needed to get steering unlocked so we could more easily get it on a trailer, that it probably didnt run even if we had a key. At least a dead battery. We were clueless and unsuccessful until I told him, lets go buy a new cylinder lock and look how it anchors itself into the steering column. Saw the little pin, so then tried looking on steering column. I was surprised to find hole with pin in it. Seems like it would been more secure if they used a blind hole. Cause it was trivial to retract pin with pin punch and a hammer. Once a thief had this knowledge, and with little practice, it would take darn little work/time for him to drive down road with it. Heck this is IMHO, even simpler than hotwiring a car in old days and no damage done to the steering column.

Back