Strut (or shock, whatever you want to call them) Question for Those Experts Out There | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strut (or shock, whatever you want to call them) Question for Those Experts Out There

helmsa

Reaction score
City, State
Southern Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT, 3.5 NA
Callsign
K7ATH
So this topic has been brought up time and time again, but this time I am running data on it. We have been looking for longer travel suspension components and based on what I am looking at for "stock replacements" from Monroe, one limiting component is the struts (yes, I am aware of the discussion going on with 3" spacer lifts).

So here is the question: How much further can the strut set up compress before we are hitting body components & how much further can the set up extend before we loose the springs off the strut or tap out the upper control arm on the springs? How much down travel from stock is allowable before the rear axles hit the frame?

Where this is going is...Provided that all other parts of the strut are the same (ie. diameter, spring mounting plate, etc.), we could use longer extension struts to maximize desired goals. Just how much would we be sacrificing?

Here are some numbers that I am looking at:

Stock Fonts (per Monroe data):
  • Strut Body Length - 19.18"
  • Compressed Length - 16.66"
  • Extended Length - 20.84"
  • Travel - 2.52"

Possible Replacement (based on my best knowledge looking at Monroe data):
  • Stut Body Length - 16.375"
  • Compressed Length - 16.625"
  • Extended Legth - 25.375"
  • Travel - 8.75"

Stock Rears (per Monroe data):
  • Strut Body Length - 13.02"
  • Compressed Length - 13.52"
  • Extended Length - 19.69"
  • Travel - 5.87"

Possible Replacement (based on my best knowledge looking at Monroe data):
  • Stut Body Length - 13.25"
  • Compressed Length - 13.5"
  • Extended Legth - 21.5"
  • Travel - 8.00"

Let me know if this doesn't make sense. If you have any more questions like I have in bold above, please post them as well for consideration.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those look like some very good replacement sizes,
We could go longer extended length than stock, but I wouldn't go any shorter on the compressed side (depending on tire size).
With my sway bars disconnected, I tuck pretty well into the wheel well when they're compressed.
Are those replacements you've listed the same type/style?
Monroes site lists what type they are on their site.
The other thing I was thinking is using a plate from my spacers, and welding a couple shock tabs on the under site of it, so we could just use some universal, (king/fox style) long travel coilovers.

Cheers

Ben

Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply, and to answer the question, yes both "replacements" that I listed there are the same type and whatnot as the "stock". I used data from the Monroe Sensa-Trac struts. Stock is listed as a "SS2" type, so I filtered my data to only contain "SS2" type then did several sorts for lengths to come up with my numbers.

Another question that I came up with: How would a person go about determining what longer lengths would be appropriate to maintain a level ride height?

I have though about King/Fox types before, but for me...the limiting factor is price. I would love to have a nice external res. coilover smoothing out the pot holes when I do get offroad, but at $1000 for all 4 corners...not today.

I remember one of them, front or back was the ss2 type, but the other was different.
If we can nail this down I'll go pick up a set and start experimenting.
I think the actual resting height would depend on how they're valved.
Do you know what those long travel ones were meant to go on?

Helmsa,

Ive read the post, and tried to process the numbers as best i could but, im still a tad lost...

what do these mean for explorer offroading ??

travel -2.52'' etc

travel -8.57'' etc

They mean we'd have more articulation at least on the shocks side of things.
we'd still be limited by the control arms though.

I remember one of them, front or back was the ss2 type, but the other was different.
If we can nail this down I'll go pick up a set and start experimenting.
I think the actual resting height would depend on how they're valved.
Do you know what those long travel ones were meant to go on?

Monroe shock selector app says Monroe Sensa-trac 71398 front and 71322 rear for stock (not saying that I'm right), but those are the numbers and SS2's. I don't know what they would go on. I know there are ways to find out, but don't remember off the top of my head.

Helmsa,

Ive read the post, and tried to process the numbers as best i could but, im still a tad lost...

what do these mean for explorer offroading ??

travel -2.52'' etc

travel -8.57'' etc

First let me say that those numbers are provided by Monroe, so any error in them is on them, but here it goes...Travel is equal to the difference in strut length (between the mounting points) measured when it is fully compressed and fully extended. Ben said it though...it means that the wheels would be allowed to travel over a longer distance before reaching full compression thus making the frame rise and reaching full extension thus leaving a wheel hanging in the aid.

Monroe shock selector app says Monroe Sensa-trac 71398 front and 71322 rear for stock (not saying that I'm right), but those are the numbers and SS2's. I don't know what they would go on. I know there are ways to find out, but don't remember off the top of my head.

I'll haveto see if I can get my hands on those two parts and compare. :thumbsup:

if im reading this right then the rear shock would lift the rear .03 inches and lower the front ~2.25inches cuz isnt the shock body the lower part where the spring sits the rear i would def. look into but the front would be a no go. i could be wrong but

First let me say that those numbers are provided by Monroe, so any error in them is on them, but here it goes...Travel is equal to the difference in strut length (between the mounting points) measured when it is fully compressed and fully extended. Ben said it though...it means that the wheels would be allowed to travel over a longer distance before reaching full compression thus making the frame rise and reaching full extension thus leaving a wheel hanging in the aid.

We carry those Monroe's. If you decide on them, use promo code explorer and get a 5% discount upon check out. Also get free shipping for orders over $95.

Let me know if you have any questions.

so has any one found out what size kings to get that have res.

i want to make sure to ge the right size.

any help?

i will have kings !!!... hahaha but seriously i will

Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply, and to answer the question, yes both "replacements" that I listed there are the same type and whatnot as the "stock". I used data from the Monroe Sensa-Trac struts. Stock is listed as a "SS2" type, so I filtered my data to only contain "SS2" type then did several sorts for lengths to come up with my numbers.

Another question that I came up with: How would a person go about determining what longer lengths would be appropriate to maintain a level ride height?

I have though about King/Fox types before, but for me...the limiting factor is price. I would love to have a nice external res. coilover smoothing out the pot holes when I do get offroad, but at $1000 for all 4 corners...not today.
Anybody ever try anything or figure anything out? Have the same idea in my head

Back