• Register Today It's free!

stumbling idle

a351fan

Reaction score
City, State
Sandy Eggo
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac
My 02 4x4 v6 trac stumbles at idle intermintantly while sitting at a light. I just replaced the pcv valve and the tube to TB. I checked and rechecked for vacuum leaks and don't seem to be any and it is not throwing any codes. Any help would be great, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the IAC. My friend's '00 Sport had the same problem, new IAC was the cure (though he did clean his old one, but that cured it for only a few days).

Tom

New IAC

Hi, sorry for the lack of understanding, but what is a IAC? Just getting around to solving my rough idle, but need a few ideas. Thanks. Keith Hodges.

IAC = Idle Air Controller

Do a search for either "IAC" or "Idle Air Controller" and start reading, as it's not the only thing that can cause a rough idle, though it is one of the easier things to clean and/or replace.

Tom

Iac

OK, thanks for that Squirrelmaster, I'll do just that.

This is a great site. Just joined Saturday, and after scanning only the last 15 pages of posts, looking for ideas, found my answer. I was getting the various codes relating to O2 sensors, etc, but wasn't convinced that was the problem. Went to Auto Zone, as before, and the little boy clerk used their OBD scanner on my Sport Trac, and based on their conclusion, ended up buying a new air filter (K&N this time), and fuel line filter. It was about time anyway, so no loss. Nope, no good, still got the codes and rough idle. Soooooo, bought my own OBD scanner, then went through this site, found several posts regarding a rubber 90 degree elbow at the front of the engine, connected to a plastic pipe going to the back of the engine. Once I focused my attention in this area, the hiss of vacuum leak lead me right to the rubber elbow. The hole was about a quarter inch, and collapsing from the vacuum. This was Sunday, with no dealers open. Auto Zone proved usefull this time with a multi angled rubber hose, which I cut to the right 90 degree angle, and made the repair. Runs like it did before my Christmas trip that started all this, like new! Sounds like this is a fairly common problem, and the only reason I'm going into a detailed description is to hopefully help any other new users. These forums are great! Thanks.

Glad you figured it out, even if I was wrong in my diagnosis. :D

Tom

Well rough idle with no codes can point to the IAC valve.

If he had told us he was getting too lean CEL codes, then I would have chimed in about the 90 degree elbow of the hose going to the IAC valve which has been a big problem on the Job 2 Sport Tracs.

Tom, I appreciate the suggestion, could of just as well been that, so it could have helped. Still running good after several days. Now working on the infamous electric mirrors malfunctioning. MANY posts suggest the switch, and I found one on ebay and ordered it today, so, after that, I'll just have to turn my attention back to my 2 Jags, since the Explorer will once again be trouble free. Thanks, and love this site. Keith

I am having same issue with this 90 degree rubber hose. 2 questions:

1) Why has the hose collapsed to the point that it does not let the air flow?
2) What part does this hose connect to at the front of the engine near the throttle body?

Back