Suggestions for rear differential cover sealant | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suggestions for rear differential cover sealant

Fred Garvin

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
My rear differential cover is leaking, so I'll have to take it off and seal it back up. Ford does not have a gasket--they just use sealant.

I tried permatex ultra blue in the past--any other suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The RTV-Black, make sure there is no fluid or sealant left on either surface and Don't over tighten..Good Luck

When the shop replaced my rear wheel bearings, they used a gray sealant. It hasn't shown any signs of leaking.

make sure the flange is clean

I use the Permatex Ultra Black, but it is very important to get the surfaces clean before you seal it back up. Wipe the cover and axle flange with laquer thinner or mineral spirits to remove the oil residue. Put the sealer on the cover and let it set for 5 min or so, install and let it cure for an hour or more before refilling.

Fel Pro makes a gasket for the 8.8 rear end. Go to any Autozone they have it. Easier to install and less messy the RTV.

I also had a rear pinion seal blow on my 98 X. I cleaned it off with a degreaser to isolate the problem.

Mike

I use ultra-grey. It works good.

My cover is cracked....But I just use that permatex blue crap, and it works fine....luckly my crack is at the top, so it only leaks after some mad wheelin!
Pete

Back