sunk the hood and motor under water... what to do to fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

sunk the hood and motor under water... what to do to fix

elementtrev

Reaction score
City, State
Wisco
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ya so im new to the fourms, and dont know where else to post this...

so my buddies and i went mudding the other night and one of my friends went to far into the water and sunk the front end to the hood while running.. not good at all!!!! but now the engine has seized up :dead: and were trying to get it back runnin. his truck is a 02 explorer, we have been shootin all the pistons with pb blaster trying to eat the rust away form the cylinder. tryed drainin the oil and all the fluids. the truck sucked water up through the intake, to the manafold and into the motor, also brought it through the exhaust... we have been trying to break the seized pistons for the past day and are stuck between a rock and a hard place. really need to get this fixed. and wondering if anyone has had this happen and how they fixed it. any and all advice will be appreciated. thanks again in advance

elementtrev:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull all the plugs. Try to turn over the motor by hand. If it wont turn, you have likely hydrolocked the engine and it is good for scrap. Yes I have done it before, and ruined a good engine.

If it is hydrolocked and damaged, then fix is to the replace the engine.

thanks for responding... unclemeat! and sadly your right, need to get a new engine

It's not just the rust, if you hydrolock an engine then there are likely bent connecting rods too.

talked to another buddy and he said the same thing about rods as you john. and we decided to rebuild the block.

For future reference...

If you go too deep in water and the engine stops. Don't crank over the engine! Get the truck pulled out of the water. Pull all of the spark plugs. Then crank the engine to flush out any water in the cylinders. Re-install the spark plugs and see if she starts.

For future reference...

If you go too deep in water and the engine stops. Don't crank over the engine! Get the truck pulled out of the water. Pull all of the spark plugs. Then crank the engine to flush out any water in the cylinders. Re-install the spark plugs and see if she starts.

Amen brother!

For future reference...

ya we didnt... we waited till we got it to the shop and tried to after we drained the engine and sht,

but thanks again everyone...

Back