Suspension Questions, Mainly U bolts and Leaf springs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Suspension Questions, Mainly U bolts and Leaf springs

Zackie

Reaction score
City, State
Flat Rock, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 SporTrac
I’ve decided to finally get to modding my 01 sport, Right now I wanna lift it but I got things to fix first, First things first, rear differential, u-bolts, and drivers side leaf spring plate, the shock mount snapped off of it after hitting a bad railroad crossing, I found the plate but I can’t find any info on what demensions the u bolts are

I used these Husky USB041R U-bolts on my '98:

Diameter (IN) 1/2
Material Steel
Overall Length (IN) 6-3/4
Riser Blocks Included No
Shape Round
Thread Size 1/2-20 Threads Per Inch
Thread Type NF
U-Bolt Included Yes
Width (IN) 3-1/4

At the time they were only $5.59 each, not sure if there's a better price on something else today.

They were just long enough at 6-3/4", if you wanted to get something longer, up to 7-3/4" (if not longer still) should work too, still leave enough threading to tighten up. If my records are correct, they tighten to 72ft-lbs (or Husky shows 65ft-lbs) then you need to retighten them after they settle in after a few dozen miles, then check them again after a few more just to be sure they stay tight.

After one of my lower shock mount plates broke, it wasn't long after that the other one did too. I'd just replace both while I'm at it if they are both pretty rusty. Related to rust, the nuts weren't coming off my old U-bolts so I just used an angle grinder to make a single cut above the axle to get them off.

Back