Swap 3.73 Open Differential with 3.73 Limited Slip? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swap 3.73 Open Differential with 3.73 Limited Slip?

05Explodie

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Exploder XLT 4x4
Hi Guys,

I have a 2005 Explorer XLT 4x4. According to the door tag, I have the code 46/3.73 open rear differential. After 225k miles, it is on it's death bed with a grinding while turning left (not wheel bearings). I'm thinking the pinion or carrier bearings are shot. Anyways, all I'm able to locate at a local Pull-A-Part are code d4/3.73 limited slip units. Would the 3.73 limited slip work as a direct fit replacement for a 3.73 open if I want to swap the rear differentials? Or do I have to find a 3.73 open?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update: If anyone is curious about this in the future, I'm still not sure what would of happened if I swapped in a 3.73 limited. I ended up driving 5 hours to Atlanta and was able to locate a 3.73 open diff at a Pull A Part there to switch mine out with.

The swap to the limited slip , would not hurt anything .

I installed trac-loc in my Grand Marquis, and had a couple of scary moments in spirited driving.
The back slid out sometimes, especially in rain.

If the gear ratios are the same, there should be no issues with open VS LS differentials

Back