Swapping Explorer/Ranger leaf springs.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping Explorer/Ranger leaf springs..

domeshot14

Reaction score
City, State
Perrysburg, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT
I know this is probably a really dumb question, but just to be sure..I can swap the leaf springs on my 99 Ex for a pair off of a Ranger can't I? I'd like to correct the pimp lean and raise the ass end up a little bit. I did a half assed search but couldn't find a how-to on changing leaf springs. Is there one?? And in your guys' opinion what would be the easiest/most effective way to level the truck out? I hate that damn lean...:thumbdwn:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is probably a really dumb question, but just to be sure..I can swap the leaf springs on my 99 Ex for a pair off of a Ranger can't I? I'd like to correct the pimp lean and raise the ass end up a little bit. I did a half assed search but couldn't find a how-to on changing leaf springs. Is there one?? And in your guys' opinion what would be the easiest/most effective way to level the truck out? I hate that damn lean...:thumbdwn:

I totally agree with you man. I've asked this same question but no one's ever been able to give me a good answer. It seems the only options anyone's ever got is those aftermarket lift kits with at least 2 inches minimum of added lift. I actually found this outfit that custom manufactures spring packs to your specs but I've put the idea on hold for now. I'll be sure to post their web address here as soon as I find it.

The good thing about the stock 2nd gen Explorer spring is that they have this built in curve at the fixed bracket end which I believe anyone with the right equipment could simply heat up and hammer straight. I reckon this would give a good inch and a fraction of added lift alone--just the right amount I was kinda hoping to counter the rearend sag on my Mountaineer.

There's also a youtube vid of a 2nd Gen Explorer for sale in Australia that has had a similar mod done to it. You can clearly see the different profile of the rear springs if you pause the vid at the right moment. I tried inquirig about the springs but the seller might have had no idea it was even there. I'll be sure to post the link here when I find that one too.

I would expect the answer to be NO. The Ranger uses a Spring Over axle configuration while the Explorer uses a Spring Under setup so the spring arch should be different.

But, the Ranger uses an inverted rear shackle so its possible that allows the spring arch to be the same but I don't think so.

Also, the Ranger is much lighter than the X so I'd expect the spring rate to be lower which means more sag using the Ranger Springs.

~Mark

I'm going to try helper springs or add a leaf and see how that works out. Also thinking about a set of Rancho RS5000 shocks. You can get a set on truckaddons.com for $167.95 with free shipping. Not a bad price for those.

They will bolt in to the hangers, but you have to flip the locator pin over, to properly install the axle.

Then, even when you have them bolted into the truck, it will sit about 1.5" lower then stock.

Then, you will still have the problem of having worn springs in your truck. The Ranger suffers from spring sag as bad as the Ex or maybe worse. ( it all depends on what was carried and how often.)

If you even bothered to read this far into my drawn-out post, you should have realized by now --- Its not worth it.

I had this issue in my 97 Ex also. Bought brand new leaf packs AND a add-a-leaf. STILL had gangster lean! Went to the alignment shop where the dude use to work at the now de-funked for dealership. He knew how to fix it. He adjusted the front torsion bars. Now I sit level front to back and side to side. I would get new leafs packs ( i paid $100 a side) and AAL ($35 shipped from summit) see if it still leans then adjust your torsion bars until level.

Back