Swapping gauges 94 to 92. 6 digit odometer :confused: | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Swapping gauges 94 to 92. 6 digit odometer :confused:

pmill

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4
I bought a gauge cluster so I could have a 6 digit odometer on my 92. When I plug in the new cluster and turn the ignition, the fuel gauge pegs out beyond full, none of the other gauges move, and the right turn signal indicator stays on. When I start it, nothing different happens.

Isn't this supposed to be an even swap? I tried plugging the old gauges back in to make sure and they work fine. Seems like there's a different program for the newer gauges.

Is there anything I can do to get this to work? What is the removable chip on the side of the cluster? I tried swapping that between the 2 and it didn't do anything different.

Thank you much!!!!

I figured it out, but it's not 100%. I just switched the individual gauges from the new cluster into the old one and that worked. Only difference I see now is that the 94 cluster has an anti-theft light where the brake light is on the 92 and the brake light is now one spot to the right, where it's just a blank spot on the 92. I guess it would have been too simple if they put the anti-theft light in the blank spot.

Hopefully the odometer counts ok now. I moved the numbers to match my actual mileage.

dude that was an awsome idea.

when i get flame gauges im gonna use your idea.

Took it for a test drive and everything looks good. The needles are sitting in the same spots they did on the old gauges. The tach and speedo seem a little more sensitive and quick reacting. The needle still bounces as I accelerate, but I guess that's normal right?

The tripometer and odometer counted fine for a couple miles, so looks like it's a success.

Back