• Register Today It's free!

Sync Nav taking longer routes

Frolin

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Recently got a 2013 Explorer Limited with the Sync Navigation system. Made my first real road trip and took my trusty Garmin with me, so listening to two ladies voices telling me where to go for 1900 miles.

Conclusion is, the Garmin seems to be better at Routes and Traffic. A couple times, Garmin gave shorter routes and also warned of Traffic where the Nav system never did.

I have the most up to date Sync software updates (per the shop two weeks ago, due to other matters), and also the new A7 map sim card. And I have the full Sirius package on mine today.

As example... driving from Tulsa towards Oklahoma City, I wanted to go to Choctaw. For simple reference, image OKC as a clock and the Turnpike to Tulsa is at 2 oclock, and Choctaw is at 3 oclock, and located about 20 miles out.

On the Ford Nav system, it had me take the Turnpike all the way in to OKC, take IH-35 South along the East side of the City, then take IH-40 East (about 3:30 angle) out about 15 miles, then turn back North to get up to Choctaw...
...Garmin and Google both have me do the same, exit off the Turnpike about 20 miles before OKC and go South, on a major rural road down right to the intersection in Choctaw.

In short, Ford Nav had me drive another 40-45 miles further than need to. Another 30-40 minutes added to the trip because I was busy and did not realize the mistake and was one of few times did not have Garmin online.

Ford Nav is set to use the 'fastest' route, but in either case, the Garmin route was lots shorter and faster, so either setting should have done it. Plus the roads were very direct straight through, no construction issues.

Wondering if any other settings I am missing, that would have caused a 40-45 mile and 30-40 minute longer route, where 'cutting across' the outside of the City is so obvious, even if you look at a Map or use Google ?

Also wondering why missed Traffic Notices ?
( the weather service and radar map were cool, so Sirius is working fine )

Frolin

Back