T5 and 302 explorer motor ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T5 and 302 explorer motor ?

thorsteinarg

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 BMW E36 325 302 swap
So guys I am wondering, currently doing a 302 explorer swap in my bmw and need some info. Since I don't want to have it automatic, does the T5 mate to the explorer engine ? Does the output shaft etc fit ?
Was wondering what bellhousing I should run on this since I have no clue if the T5 will even fit on the Explorer engine.
I know this is not about a explorer, but would appreciate some answers :)
Thanks !

Best of my knowledge, the Mustang 3.8 V6 shares the bell housing bolt pattern with the 302 and used the T5 gear box so getting a T5 onto the back of a 302 is the easy bit.

Tougher is getting a EFI up and running. The Expo V8 only came with the 4R70W auto and the PCM gets REAL unhappy without the transmission on the other end of the wiring harness.

Best answer is likely to get the 4R70W tuned out of the PCM, but that's not exactly inexpensive.

Another option is to "age" the PCM and drop down to the last of the SBF Mustang EFI systems. It's not as good an EFI system and you loose the coil pack ignition (and sequentially fired fuel injectors) but does work.

Mustang V-8 had T-5

Many of the Mustang 302-5.0 cars used the T-5 as the standard 5-speed. They started in the late 80's so the bell housings are available in the salvage yards. Fly wheels and clutches are a ditto. You will need to use either the cable or hydraulic clutch actuation as the Explorer block has no provision for mechanical clutch actuation. There are easy ways to fabricate a mounting bracket using the bell housing bolts to hold mechanical linkage. The shifter tower on the T-5 may be higher than your current transmission which may require tunnel cutting and fabrication.

Back