Temp. Calibration

pjpdallas

Reaction score
City, State
McKinney, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4X4
Hi all, a newbie here,
I recently traded in my '02 Ford Escape XLS for a '04 Explorer XLT with the electronic compass and outside temperature. The outside temp. constantly seems to be 6 - 10 degrees F off. Is this a common problem, and can the thermometer be calibrated. I am sort of guessing that the thermometer runs through the main computer and has to be done by the dealership, if it can be done at all, any responses would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Explorer does the same thing when idling. A couple of miles down the road and it reads accurate. The sensor placement seems to be to close to the radiator. The Lincoln that I sold did the same thing.

Most are going to be off by a little. All three of our Explorers have been 4 or 5 degrees in either direction.

None of them are ever 100% accurate... there are too many factors involved, and one of them is the placement of the sensor directly infront of the radiator. The ambient temperature sensor is the most common of problems, but if you're comparing the temperature on your display to one given on the radio, you have to take into effect that the temperature may not be taken in the same area you are. I like to place a meat thermometer right next to the sensor and compare the two temperatures just to be sure.

You can only callibrate the compass.The temp is on its own. It depends only on the sensor on the front of the vehicle and the only adjustments are made through the the VSS, "vehicle speed sensor" to maintain a constant temp at moving speeds!
You could check and see if the sensor is dirty...highly unlikely..but you never know!

Back